2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Regear and Locker

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Viper37
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regear and Locker

I plan on picking up a set of 33's sometime soon, and I figure that I'd probably like to re-gear shortly after doing so. I'm thinking of going to 4:10 like my Ranger had. Does anyone with that gear set have anything to say about how it performs on the street?

Also, I'd like to install a locker. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with their lockers?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i've got a powertrax noslip locker. i love mine. somebody on here put one in last year and hated it, so you have to weigh the different opinions.

its different. normal condition is to be locked, such that both wheels pull. when you turn, the sideways forces cause it to unlock. when you straighten back up, it relocks. in normal street driving it has a little different feel, sort of pushy in turns. you get used to it in a couple of weeks. in wet weather, when making sharp turns, the inside tire spins easily rather than unlocking. so you have to be gentle on wet roads. it really comes alive in the mud, as a pulling sob. my only complaint is that it spins the inside tire in the grass, and chews up the yard.

powertrax is only recommended for stock hp and normal size tires up to 32 or 33 or so. beyond that you'll a detroit locker, which is damned expensive. unfortunately, there is no selectable locker for our 9.25

Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you check out a gear calculator, you'll probably find that the
4.10's with 33's will perform much like the stock 225X75X16's on 3.55's.

I have a LSD unit (Detroit Trutrac) that works great. I am assuming you don't want to go full locker in the rear.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:55 PM
2damnyankee
Veteran

I have a question Viper. Now I dont want to sound like a d!@k but why are you putting so much money into a 2 wheel drive truck with lift kits and larger tires? If had a 2 wheel drive and lived over in cali I would slam that thing to the ground and air bag it w/ a body drop. you would save alot of money on just getting a 4x4. I know that everyone wants to be different but a prerunner can only get so far. I am sorry if I stepped on some toes, but where I come from 2 wheel drives are low and fast and 4x4 run over 2 wheel drives.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Viper37
Banned

Originally Posted by 2damnyankee
I have a question Viper. Now I dont want to sound like a d!@k but why are you putting so much money into a 2 wheel drive truck with lift kits and larger tires? If had a 2 wheel drive and lived over in cali I would slam that thing to the ground and air bag it w/ a body drop. you would save alot of money on just getting a 4x4. I know that everyone wants to be different but a prerunner can only get so far. I am sorry if I stepped on some toes, but where I come from 2 wheel drives are low and fast and 4x4 run over 2 wheel drives.
Because the majority of the vehicles that run the Baja 1000 are 2WD. I specifically don't want a 4x4 because I will be severely limited in suspension down he road. I am currently designing a long travel system for this truck that will give me about 20 inches of wheel travel. Not only that 4x4's are way more to insure. Towards the end of its street life the truck will be gutted, fully caged, and set up for SCORE Class 7.

It's so silly that people on these forums cant realize that not all of us get off on driving our trucks into holes or over rocks at low speed. There are a lot of us that like to go fast over a wide area, and all the open desert space in my Locale is perfect for that. Here's some pictures from old Desert trips. Please tell me how 4wd would even be slightly useful out here:

Vaughn and Aim, thanks for the good info, I'll check out both those products.

Last edited by Viper37; 03-24-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:55 AM
2damnyankee
Veteran

ok you got a point and i wasnt sure on why that is why I asked a question .

Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I've got 4.10, 33's, and a powertrax no-slip locker. I like it, I can get into places in two
wheel drive that my uncles old jeep had a hard time with in four wheel drive. Being that
your looking into a more high speed and maneuvering activity you may want to look into
a limited slip.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like my Auburn LSD. Silent and works in the dirt.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Viper37
Banned

Originally Posted by xskylinedx
Being that
your looking into a more high speed and maneuvering activity you may want to look into
a limited slip.
Really now, why do you say that?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aubrey
I really like my Auburn LSD. Silent and works in the dirt.
That's what I have so I can't comment on the locker.

However, I do have 33"s and 4.10 gears and it does pretty well. I don't think gears even lower would be horrible as sometimes I wish it was geared slightly lower but to be honest the 4.10's do well with the 33"s.

Quick Reply: Regear and Locker