2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need some help with a kegger mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 AM
wescoaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help with a kegger mod

so i got my intake off and found a small plenum leak as suspected and while i have it off im gonna to the mod and after reading the DIY {thanks dude} im wondering if i should cut the runners angular or Flat?

Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 AM
SilverRam_01
Captain

I just did mine, and cut it at an angle... i cut as much off as i could, and, it actually surprised me, after the computer picked up on it, this thing rips... maybe someone who cut theres flat will chime in with how theres was different, but man, above 2 grand, it just screams.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:19 AM
jagass
Professional

Cut it man...

Old 03-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did mine at the angle as you saw, but a guy on another forum cut his flat and did a dyno before and after.
His first dyno was 185hp/283 torque. Here's what he wrote about the after dyno:

"The results are 193 hp & 273 tq.
Max gain of 8 hp and max loss of 10 tq.

The modded kegger intake made more less max (but more usable) torque across the entire run, made 7 less horsepower from 3000 until it hit 4000 then made 14 more until 5200.

The guy running the dyno said the increase in torque will offset the loss in hp since they run into each other. When the torque starts decreasing the hp starts increasing.

The operator fooked up and didn't get the first sheet printed out that shows corrected hp & tq, all I have are the charts which only show a scale for min, max and avg numbers...and are hard as hell to read.

The other factor that screws up the figures is the fact my engine was already making max torque before the run recorder started (291 @2900 rpms).

Going by max numbers only, the hp increased by 8 @ 5149 and the torque decreased by 10 @ the same rpm.

The 'gain' is the change the moddified intake made in when the torque & hp peaks are.
With the stock intake the hp & tq both started decreasing at the same time.
With the modded intake the hp starts increasing when the torque begins decreasing.

I am going to have to get another run done to get the sheet that shows corrected max numbers, but it won't be this week.

Butt dyno feels the difference in the upper rpm area, real dyno confirms.

For a total investement of $100 and about 18 man hours, it's worth it for me."

Old 03-25-2009, 11:43 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverRam_01
I just did mine, and cut it at an angle... i cut as much off as i could, and, it actually surprised me, after the computer picked up on it, this thing rips... maybe someone who cut theres flat will chime in with how theres was different, but man, above 2 grand, it just screams.
Just want to make sure I got the lingo straight. When you said "...above 2 grand, it screams", what did you mean by "screams". It hauls a$$, or it's loud. Also, do you have any other mods that would increase the effect of this intake mod?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:39 PM
wescoaster

thanks for the tips im gonna go all the way and do what silverram has done

Old 03-26-2009, 01:55 PM
SilverRam_01
Captain

Originally Posted by J415
Just want to make sure I got the lingo straight. When you said "...above 2 grand, it screams", what did you mean by "screams". It hauls a$$, or it's loud. Also, do you have any other mods that would increase the effect of this intake mod?
Both. I think it might have made the truck a little bassier, but idk. I definitely noticed that it pulls way harder. The only other thing I did to it when I did the mod was change the cap and rotor, and re route the plug wires. The only other things done to the truck are an Edelbrock Pro Flo are cleaner, 3923s, custom cat less y-pipe, Cherry bomb Extreme one chamber, 180* t stat, and my tv cable is adjusted so it's pretty snappy and doesn't shift til late.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:24 AM
aj99

I got a question? Do you use the factory intake manifold?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the factory manifold is the only kegger style manifold for our trucks. Aftermarket manifolds are not kegger designs.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:57 PM
aj99

will it work on the 5.9

Quick Reply: need some help with a kegger mod