2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looks like 01DodgeRam360 is calling it quits

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009 | 01:07 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I bought a truck that while used was in just about perfect shape when I got it. I drove it for a bit then had a ton of problems. I had a few problems in the first 30-40k I drove it then that's when huge problems started with one after another with mine. I think Rams just have problems around that age and mileage beat on or not.

BTW if I was buying a new or close to new truck no way I'd have it painted. Not only would a nice paint job as in not a Macco one would probably be $3000 or so it would also greatly lower the value of the truck as you can usually tell if they have been repainted and most people that looked at it are going to wonder if it's been in a wreck or not.

I've settled for stuff. Like I kind of wanted a F-150 flareside but never found one I wanted in good shape so I got the Ram.

Do not settle. Get exactly what you want or you will spend a ton trying to get it how you want and just lower the value. Either that or regret it and want a new truck in a few years.

If you don't want red don't buy it no matter what deal they call you back with or you will regret it.

Old 03-29-2009 | 01:09 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

you put alot of money into your truck to get it right, plus bought for 7000 and now evreything paid off, thoguht you were talking about saving money, why make new payments when your truck is good or what about a hemi lol ?? good luck though our economy needs it

tundra sucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSThOupAOcE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3PWGRrCZ4

Old 03-29-2009 | 01:10 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
I've learned that putting your valuable money into a vehicle isn't smart. Putting money towards reliable vehicles with large warranties is worth the money. I want to put my money towards maintaining my vehicle, and paying my payments to build my credit. I did this with my neon too. Dumped way too much money into it. My dad has taught my well, and I'm slowly learning how silly it is in the scheme of things of modding vehicles. It's all about setting yourself up for good credit, and buying a home.
Yep I'm starting to realize how stupid dumping money into vehicles is. There are still a few things I really like tint that I'd probably still do. Well, I'd have it on the front if it wasn't for the tickets over and over. However, I'd still do it on the rear. The tint and maybe the stereo or something like that however, not even sure I'd do that. I added a Ipod adapter and HID's to the 06 Accord. Well, I added a K&N drop in too but only because it was the same price as a stock air filter and I can clean it. I'm pretty happy with that. I did the HID's when a stock bulb went out.

There are a few mods I do like but 90% of them are useless and while I do like them they just lower the value of the vehicle and take all your money. If I had a new vehicle I'd like it to have HID's stock but if it didn't I might and I mean might add them. I'd really have to think about it. I might also add tint to the rear and maybe some light tint to the front but that would be it unless it had a horrible stereo and I probably wouldn't buy it in the first place if it did unless I saved enough to get a good one.

Vehicles do one thing. That's go down in value. Houses and even other stuff go up in value so are a good investment. A vehicle is just throwing money away and I'm starting to realize that.

Last edited by hometheaterman; 03-29-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2009 | 01:11 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Seems like you've figured it out then. For me, always drove newer vehicles prior to buying the house. Once I had the house, really didn't care to have newer vehicles anymore. My Ram is the oldest vehicle I've had in years, but I paid 10 for it with 56k on it about 14 months ago. My plan is to keep it forever and upgrade it just to what I want it to be. A lot of what I did this spring was trying to decide if I wanted to just get a newer truck, but ultimately decided I would rather put some cash into my older truck, which by default is going to stand out a bit more then the newer vehicle would.

Personally, I don't care to get compliments from people on my truck. I want it to stand out in a parking lot so I can see it when I exit a building. Had times where I would be at the mall with the woman and you'd walk out and have 4 of the same truck within 20 stalls. Drives me nuts.

Old 03-29-2009 | 01:14 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I bought a truck that while used was in just about perfect shape when I got it. I drove it for a bit then had a ton of problems. I had a few problems in the first 30-40k I drove it then that's when huge problems started with one after another with mine. I think Rams just have problems around that age and mileage beat on or not.

BTW if I was buying a new or close to new truck no way I'd have it painted. Not only would a nice paint job as in not a Macco one would probably be $3000 or so it would also greatly lower the value of the truck as you can usually tell if they have been repainted and most people that looked at it are going to wonder if it's been in a wreck or not.

I've settled for stuff. Like I kind of wanted a F-150 flareside but never found one I wanted in good shape so I got the Ram.

Do not settle. Get exactly what you want or you will spend a ton trying to get it how you want and just lower the value. Either that or regret it and want a new truck in a few years.

If you don't want red don't buy it no matter what deal they call you back with or you will regret it.
Wayne, you've always stuck me as a very knowledgeable and reasonable man. Your the kind of guy I'd hang out with. You make very good and valid points, and I agree with most of the things you say. And your right, I can't settle on a truck that doesn't "turn me on" right off the lot. It's got to look perfect to me. It doesn't have to be as good looking as my Ram, but close. I really liked the way the tundra drove, and the double cab with the smaller four doors. I felt like I was in a damn car, yet it it can tow 10,000 pounds. It even had a semi-automatic shifter. I also really like the F-150s. I think they look better than the Tundras, but aren't quite as comfortable or as performance oriented. Both have great towing capacities though.

Limo tint and exhaust are the two most important things to me. It's got to have the dark windows, and it's got to make a rumble with some shiny tips going behind each rear tire.

Last edited by 05DodgeRamHemi; 03-29-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-29-2009 | 01:17 PM
hutch1973
Captain

[QUOTE=lastrights;1609323]you put alot of money into your truck to get it right, plus bought for 7000 and now evreything paid off, thoguht you were talking about saving money, why make new payments when your truck is good or what about a hemi lol ?? good luck though our economy needs it

tundra sucks

Watched the second video, and yeah it looks bad. Couldn't help but notice that the guy in the Ford looked to be having a rougher ride the entire clip. At least he can tell his chiropractor that his bed didn't flex though.

New F150's are *** ugly if you ask me, best interior though.

Last edited by hutch1973; 03-29-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2009 | 01:18 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend

Well hes gone now GET THE F#$%K OFF HERE WITH THIS TOYOTA CRAP!!! hahaha. I just had to say it I just dumped a case of worms on the ground lol.

Old 03-29-2009 | 01:28 PM
hutch1973
Captain

I will say this, didn't catch the loan rate on your vehicle loan first time through.

With that rate, you should already have a good enough credit score to get a house, and if the house is the ultimate end game, keep in mind you don't need a new truck to pull that off. As long as you stick to your plan of keeping the payment under 300, not dumping thousands into upgrades, shouldn't stop you from ultimately buying a home though.

Old 03-29-2009 | 01:28 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Look on the bright side. You'll never do anything like that again. Especially when there are 2nd gen 1500s out there in EXCELLENT condition for 7k or less.

I kinda made a similar mistake with a ford ranger when I was 19. Truck was a cream puff on the outside, only one owner, some old guy who changed the oil more than he drove it. Problem is old men don't drive the same way 19 year old kids do. That took it's tool pretty fast. The frame cracked on me going over some rail road tracks one night on my way to work. Did weld that back together, but it seemed like at least once a month it was having some kind of problem. The exhaust manifold cracked and ****. Sold it for my Dodge. Mine was 6k excellent condition except for a little rust on the back bumper that I fixed, but I would like to replace both bumpers with heavy duty winch bumpers anyway so that wasn't really a concern.. Still is, except for a couple scratches in the paint, but I don't mind the offroad scars. I was kinda thinking about painting it anti freeze green someday. and I like having the money to play with it and tinker with it cause (and I really like this part) I don't have a car payment.

Neon, honestly man, think about this... You want something sexy you should look at like a 1970 chevelle super sport, or a 1969 dodge charger R/T or something man. It's got power out the ***. It's a ****in sweet ride. It's got a big *** trunk if you need to haul **** around with you. You're brother has a truck if you need to haul something. And you like exhaust lol. You'll like the exhaust on a muscle car. Plus if you're getting into wrenching on your own vehicles you can work on these things cause they're purely mechanical.

Old 03-29-2009 | 01:43 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

All great feedback guys. That's why I'm happy I'm at least trying to sell my truck privately. For one, it gives me more time to explore the market for what I want. And two, I'm going to receive maximum dollar for it. Even once I sell it, I don't have to buy a vehicle immediately. That's what my sweet windstar is for! I'm still waiting for my federal tax returns as well. I plan to use that money to put towards the loan when I buy a vehicle, so that will cut the loan down to $12,500 right off the bat. I guess one nice thing about the ram is that I took a loan out for the transmission. Now that I got the first loan out of the way, they are allowing me to take a loan out without a co-signer. I'm just going to really take my time here, and find exactly what I want. I have to see how people respond to my truck being sold out front. Here is a picture I took today of my truck out front of the business location when I was driving by. She sure looks good...

Quick Reply: Looks like 01DodgeRam360 is calling it quits