2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

another transmission problem !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:35 AM
5.9beast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another transmission problem !!!

hi everyone ..im new to the site ...for starters this is the best site ive seen for the dodge ram community.. now for my problem, my 99 ram 1500 4x4 ,and for some reason when the engine reaches operating temp. it has really horrible shifting from 1st to 2nd , but 3rd and overdrive dont seem to have any issues shifting. the symptoms are eratic shifting and it seems like its hunting for the second gear through 2000 rpm -3500rpm. once the engine has been running for a while the transmission shifting problem goes away. the truck threw a code for about a week , but dont remember the code number, but i do remember what it was .. it was torque solenoid ,and govener code, but it never came up again i changed the trans filter and gasket and new at4 fluid.... any ideas why its shifting hard ????

Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome! Sorry but Dodge autos are crap, as you've discovered. You could keep searching for ideas and help but most likely any shop is gonna want to rebuild it.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:14 PM
dblj16380
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A common problem with our trucks (at least the 46RE trans) is that the governor pressure sensor and solenoids go out in the trans. These two components majorly help to control the shift timings of 1st and 2nd. My truck would occasionally slip in or out of 2nd gear right after I rebuilt it. I replaced these two items and bingo, problem solved.

Now, usually it is only one or the other that go out, but at a combined cost of $150 and the fact that you have to drop the pan to get to them, you might as well replace them both rather than guessing at one, putting the pan back on and testing it just to find out it was the other.

Quick Reply: another transmission problem !!!