2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help with Coolant Temp Sensor after MOTOR SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:55 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the "T" idea best but ... why can't you drive until this is done? Aren't you just missing a gauge input?

Old 03-31-2009, 01:30 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im thinking out loud here... but if they are duplicate sensors of the thing.... ( I looked it up and saw the same two wire sensors for both years) then personally to save yourself some hassel, I would invest in some blue tap splices and see what happens. tap the like wires of the two connectors. Just means when the pcm will have the same reading for both wires... and should fix your problem right? I say give it a shot. Don't get those crappy 3M taps that have the double set of spikes. get the single spike that way you can remove them if it doesn't work. Lets see if anyone else thinks this is a good idea before you go and tackle it.... but in my head it sounds good at the moment.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:36 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, there is a 1 wire sensor and a 2 wire sensor.....dont know if they use the same kind of signal or not.......

Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
well, there is a 1 wire sensor and a 2 wire sensor.....dont know if they use the same kind of signal or not.......
Gotcha.... like I said I was just thinking out loud.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 PM
SkiLLzWheeLz

I ended up getting a t fitting and I put it on the heater hose in the spot where there is already a piece of pipe to connect the hoses. I removed the pipe, put in my t fitting, ran a 2 inch long piece of hose off the T and clamped it down to the sensor. No leaks and it does get hot.

Problem still there. No CEL since starting 3 times and idleing for 15-20mins. I still have no temp gauge. Not working. When I turn the truck on though it does move about 2mm but nothing over that.

I do remember that the other sensor (ect) was wobbly where it hooks to the harness. I prob should have replaced it but that doesnt have anything to do with the guage right?

Quick Reply: Need Help with Coolant Temp Sensor after MOTOR SWAP