2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brown Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From the APS Precision Transmissions website:

"Mopar ATF+4 is a World Class Fluid having exceptional durability. However, the red dye used in ATF+4 is not permanent; as the fluid ages it may become darker or appear brown in color. The ATF+4 also has a unique odor that may change with age. With ATF+4 fluid, color and odor are no longer indicators of fluid condition and do not support a fluid change. Use 45K miles or 3 Years as your guide also replace filter and have bands adjusted at service intervals."

Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is shifting fine, doing a light service (just a drain and filter change) should not hurt anything...just don't go flushing it. I would change it AND save for a new one down the road. ATF turning brown and smelling slightly burnt are not necessarily bad signs. It normally just means the fluid needs to be changed. If it turns black and smells really burnt, you have issues. You can buy any licensed ATF+4 (all ATF+4 is the same blend) and a filter kit for around $40 for a light service.

http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

Old 03-31-2009, 10:39 AM
gobbell1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 46RE recently started slipping on the 3-4 shift and ultimately lost all gears. Further, the fluid was very dark even after just 200 miles from a fluid change.

Upon rebuild, I noticed that all the clutches and bands looked very good. The ultimate cause was the overrunning clutch assembly (needle bearings) in the OD unit failed.

Further, I am just about finished with the rebuild for less than $500.

I say all this to point out that a) the burnt fluid is never good and something is going bad inside your tranny and b) if you rebuild it yourself it can be very cheap.

I am putting together a help manual with lots of pics for the rebuild. When I am done, I will post on here.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:49 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TMS Bill
Oh, IIRC, you can't upgrade to the 47RE because the bolt pattern on the bellhousing is for the V10/CTD.

I concur. The 47RE without some sort of unlikely adapter will not bolt up to a V8.

Quick Reply: Brown Tranny Fluid