2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

why adjust transmission bands?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:34 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So, if they are so easy to do, why is there no DIY? Changing your truck's oil is the simplest things you can do to your truck, but I did a DIY for those who didnt know.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Wiretender
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between OEM service manual downloaded from this site and

http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmissio...T_band_adj.htm

I found the procedure t/b quite straight forward.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiretender
Between OEM service manual downloaded from this site and

http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmissio...T_band_adj.htm

I found the procedure t/b quite straight forward.
As I understand it, the torque values in this procedure are incorrect.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:03 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
As I understand it, the torque values in this procedure are incorrect.
Everything looks ok there.

What you have to look out for is when you are tightening up the lock nut, make sure that it does not turn the adjuster, because it will, you will have to hold the adjuster still while you tighten the lock nut.

The lock nut torque spec is irrelevant because you cant just slap a torque wrench on it, you will mess up the adjuster screw. I keep the adjuster screw adapter socket on the adjuster and use a regular wrench and tighten. That way i keep the adjuster screw from turning, keeping bad adjustment correct.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:13 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Me thinks I will avoid that DIY like the plague...... I saw your thread on band adjustment..... and about 2 weeks later heard you got a rebuild.....
I 2nd that I'll pay!!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Wiretender
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MonteC
Everything looks ok there.

What you have to look out for is when you are tightening up the lock nut, make sure that it does not turn the adjuster, because it will, you will have to hold the adjuster still while you tighten the lock nut.

The lock nut torque spec is irrelevant because you cant just slap a torque wrench on it, you will mess up the adjuster screw. I keep the adjuster screw adapter socket on the adjuster and use a regular wrench and tighten. That way i keep the adjuster screw from turning, keeping bad adjustment correct.
I used torque wrench on the torx adjuster and hand torqued the 5/16 by hand... hell, I've wrenched so long I can "feel" 6 ft lbs awful darn close. I don't get why some guys are finding this so scary?

Like my Dad always said..."If everything else fails read the directions (service manual)".

Old 06-01-2009, 09:21 PM
KY2500
Rookie

Your right not hard at all to do. At 100K miles it was a big change between what it was before and what it is now. I almost "cheaped out" and used my SK 0-100 ft/lbs torque wrench but my conscience got the best of me and I bought a descent in/lbs one. There was quite a difference between my Ft/lbs wrench at 6 and what the in/lbs was at 72. My guess the SK is not that accurate that low. Oh I did the locknut trick a little different I marked a reference at 72 in/lbs on the case and then backed off the adjustment screw so that once the locknut was tightened to the tq spec it was in the correct position.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KY2500
Your right not hard at all to do. At 100K miles it was a big change between what it was before and what it is now. I almost "cheaped out" and used my SK 0-100 ft/lbs torque wrench but my conscience got the best of me and I bought a descent in/lbs one. There was quite a difference between my Ft/lbs wrench at 6 and what the in/lbs was at 72. My guess the SK is not that accurate that low. Oh I did the locknut trick a little different I marked a reference at 72 in/lbs on the case and then backed off the adjustment screw so that once the locknut was tightened to the tq spec it was in the correct position.
Don't know if your wrench was the clicker style or not, but my dad (retired engineer) calls them a gimmick. After all, they have to be recalibrated regularly whereas the bar style don't. A friend of mine scored a fantastic bar style in/lb torque wrench off of E-Bay for $15.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 AM
cpilotti
Default 1998 Durango with 122,000 miles

I have a question with the 5.2l transmission. When taking off at low speed and making a turn righ or left or sometimes from a stop, the transmission slips and catches after a short period of time. This is atarting to happen daily as the fluid is at the full level. the reverse lights as well do not go on when shifted but do flash on and off as you are shifting from park to reverse. So, is just the linkage out of wack and can the bands cause the transmission to slip at 122,000 miles?

Old 05-23-2012, 03:30 AM
fhadso
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
+1, I adjust them every time I do a fluid/filter change, but I have the right tools .
You mean a torque wrench and a socket wrench?

Quick Reply: why adjust transmission bands?