2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Valve Delete/Tranny Filter Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
I blew up my transmission, thats why!
BLEW UP YOUR TRANNY!!!!! Remind me never to listen to you again!

(J/K)

So what the heck did you do to blow it up?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I used a bad torque wrench when I adjusted my bands.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

That is one expensive wrench.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:34 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a bad torque wrench when I adjusted my bands.
Live and learn right? happens to all of us.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Keith_izzle

This is how I deleted the check valve and installed an external transmission filter. The reason to remove the transmission line check valve is so there is more fluid going to your cooler. The reason for an external filter is simple: more filtering. DUH!!

-PurplDodge
So i am but a simple noob here, but i have a general question on this. I just ordered the perma-cool kit and look forward to putting it on. But i just realized, Since you(we) are installing a spin-on filter and most spin on's incorporate a spring loaded anti-drain back valve (one way check valve), we are in a sense not deleting the check valve ?? Just replacing it with one we can service? I have taken apart a couple Oil filters now and I think the base model FRAM's were the only ones without a check valve. Just some thoughts, any feedback?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_izzle
So i am but a simple noob here, but i have a general question on this. I just ordered the perma-cool kit and look forward to putting it on. But i just realized, Since you(we) are installing a spin-on filter and most spin on's incorporate a spring loaded anti-drain back valve (one way check valve), we are in a sense not deleting the check valve ?? Just replacing it with one we can service? I have taken apart a couple Oil filters now and I think the base model FRAM's were the only ones without a check valve. Just some thoughts, any feedback?
All spin on filters have a anti drain back valve that keeps the oil in the filter if it is upside down. This keeps dirty oil from going back to the oil pan while the motor is sitting. This will have no effect on how the oil flows now because the filter is upright.

Also, NEVER USE FRAM FILTERS. We had a discussion about them in a thread a day ago. Since we are dealing with high psi tranny hydralics all you should use is a Napa Gold 1515/WIX 51515 or a Baldwin B2 filter. YOu can save even more money and buy these filters in bulk because the engine can use the same filter. Look at my "Oil Change DIY" link in my sig for more info on the oil filters.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:09 PM
sawtooth
Rookie
Old 01-04-2014, 11:54 AM
jwalkanime
Amateur
Default Part number change at Lowes?

Great write up purple. I was able to delete my check valve by just getting those two parts from lowes and the hose clamp. However, when I went to lowes yesterday, they didn't have the A-204 part. They looked and called other lowes in the area and they didn't have the part either. I think they are discontinuing that part or they have assigned a different number the guy gave me part: LFA-294 in its place and seems to work fine. The LF stands for lead free I think. I hope I'm not creating bad chemistry with the lead free parts, both were LFA-. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Check Valve Delete/Tranny Filter Install