2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

intake valve seals

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:31 AM
engineblock
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake valve seals

What is the best way to remove the intake valve seals? I was toldto put a air compressor and that will hold up the valve from falling down, or to pick up the piston all the way up for each cylinder

Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always used a piece of nylon rope inserted into the cylinder. Remove all plugs, insert rope and turn the engine over by hand until it stops. When done on that cylinder back engine off enough to pull rope out and go to the next one.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

both techniques will work, I think the rope method is a little more fool proof. Just leave enough hanging out to retrieve it. And make sure the cylinder your working on isn't starting at TDC. 4 feet of rope just a little smaller than the spark plug hole should do the trick.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:22 AM
engineblock
Veteran

but where do i install the rope from

Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Down the plug hole ... then turn the engine by hand to hold the valves in place.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:28 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't think he's understanding the concept. the soft, lightweight, flexible rope is fed down the sparkplug hole when the piston is down, and it fills up the cylinder. when you rotate the engine the piston comes up and compresses the rope up tight between the piston and the valves - trapping the valves up in the head. so then you remove the valve covers and compress the valve springs and remove the keepers. this releases the valve, but it can't fall out because the rope is holding it in place. w/o the rope, the valve would drop all the way into the cylinder and your last words would be "oh $hit".

with the valve loose, you take off the old seal and slide on the new, then reassemble the spring. clever huh ? and more reliable than compressed air in the cylinder.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM
gobbell1
Professional

Given that your ride is a 1995 with probably 150k miles on it, why not pull each head?

That way you can check all the guides, springs and seals on a bench while you sit on a chair, vs hanging over a fender. It will be more work but you will have a rebuilt top end!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:30 PM
engineblock
Veteran

i was planning on doing that but i do not want to see a warped head and it will cost me more money, im saving money right now for a new block

Old 04-07-2009, 09:53 PM
engineblock
Veteran

so i just jam the rope all the way in the spark pug hole ( will i be able to get it out easily)

Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just feed it into the cylinder and allow it to pile up in the bottom. feed in several inches. be SURE to keep one end hanging out, so you can pull it back out. hide your keys so you don't accidently turn the engine over with force.

when you rotate the piston up it will press against the wadded up rope and stop. when you're done with that cylinder, you rotate the piston back down, and the rope will pull right out, provided you don't drop the rope down into the cylinder. use a long enough rope to make that physically impossible.

Quick Reply: intake valve seals