2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HEY ZMAN17,JASON W,DAKOTAS RAM, & VWandDOGE

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:05 AM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking HEY ZMAN17,JASON W,DAKOTAS RAM, & VWandDOGE

Hey fellas here's the nupdate on my post titled "WHAT THE HECK I GOING ON NOW" and here's the post incase you guys forgot: " hey everyone i have some multiple cycl missfires going on. they were sporatic every blue moon with usually only the no 5, or 3, or 6 however since i installed these shorty headers now i'm getting damn near every one on passenger side of engine and the no. 3 on drivers side. i do hear a slight exhaust leak on drivers side however theres a couple of those header bolts thats hard to get to because they are in the curve of the header and you can't get a socket or the "box" end of a wrench on it only the open end. They are 10mm bolts. I did let the fuel get really low prior to this. Now to cut to the chase evrything ignition wise is brand new, TB sensors are new, and I cleaned the injectors and fuel rail about 3 months ago. Anything else????????"

Well Zman17 I took your advice and replaced both the pickup coil and the crankshaft posoition sensor and I also added a bottle of Techron Concentrated Fuel injector cleaner to the tank. I reset the PCM after installing the new sensors and so far no check engine light and the idle has smoothed out. Still has a slight lope to it but nearly as bad. I have the new 8.5mm spark plug wires coming in today and will install them along with the E3 spark plugs I bought prior to seeking advice from the the Forum members, although most everyone likes them. So Zman17 I bow to you sir and thank you for your advice and to the rest of you as well.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it has a slight lope I'm wondering if you don't have clogged injector inlets.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:15 AM
mcss8541
All Star

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
If it has a slight lope I'm wondering if you don't have clogged injector inlets.
yeah i'm thinking that too. my buddy is supposed to bring his injector cleanig system home this evening and let her rip.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by mcss8541
yeah i'm thinking that too. my buddy is supposed to bring his injector cleanig system home this evening and let her rip.
The only way to really clean them is to remove them and use a sonic cleaner. Your fuel rail probably needs a good cleaning as well. If you go that route, replace the upper and lower injector O-rings.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
The only way to really clean them is to remove them and use a sonic cleaner. Your fuel rail probably needs a good cleaning as well. If you go that route, replace the upper and lower injector O-rings.
did all of that 1 month ago. I saw a neat ad on cleaning fuel injectors using a 9v battery that worked really good. after the injectors are removed spray some carb and choke cleaner down the hole in the top. connect 2 wires to a 9v battery and touch each end to each of the 2 prongs on the injector where it plugs into the wiring harness. you'll hear a click if they are woking properly, this is the open position. while it's open blow really hard into the tip forcing any debris backwards they way it came it. do this for each injector. it worked like a charm for me until the damn tank went low. I'm about this far (picture me holding my index finger and thumb really close together) from just buying a whole new set and be done with it.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you throw on your new wires, make sure you do the wire re-route(http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm). It will make sure that the wires are not arching/crossing causing misfires and pings.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:01 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Originally Posted by Mowhawk
When you throw on your new wires, make sure you do the wire re-route(http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm). It will make sure that the wires are not arching/crossing causing misfires and pings.
Yeah I printed that out and will be referring to it this afternoon when I install the new ones. I just through another CEL on the way back from lunch and I'm hoping it's the wires and nothing else.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks, but don't speak too soon, Have you tried seafoam ? You can keep dumping the Techron in and the prob may go away, but the Seafoam might be faster. And +1 to Mohawks suggestion about making sure the wires are routed per the TSB.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Oh, and what plugs are you running? My truck doesn't like the Autolites. Throws a CEL misfire and runs like shiat. It runs like a champ with Champions.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:07 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Originally Posted by zman17
Thanks, but don't speak too soon, Have you tried seafoam ? You can keep dumping the Techron in and the prob may go away, but the Seafoam might be faster. And +1 to Mohawks suggestion about making sure the wires are routed per the TSB.
I definitely do not have the wires routed per the diagram I was only told to seperate the #5 and #7. I love seafoam as well and will pour it in again.

Quick Reply: HEY ZMAN17,JASON W,DAKOTAS RAM, & VWandDOGE