2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Soaking the TB in a bucket of carb/parts cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
ophidia
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soaking the TB in a bucket of carb/parts cleaner

It's TB cleaning time again. Now, I have a bucket of carb/parts cleaner, gallon paint can type, with the included metal strainer to set **** in. What I want to do is pull my TB, take off all of the sensors, and toss it in there for a couple of hours. It worked well for cleaning various parts when I did my plenum gasket, and I've soaked my motorcycle carb parts in there. I actually soaked my plenum pan in that stuff (poured some onto a cookie sheet) and it took the sludge off nicely.

Since it's just a chunk of aluminum with a few steel pieces on it, any reason why this wouldn't work?

Fun times with the Ram, as always.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:11 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

should be ok.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Um, it's carb cleaner, right?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:34 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

The only thing I'd be concerned about is the ball bearings in the TB that hold the throttle shaft. If your cleaner gets through the seals and emulisfies the grease, you'll have a problem down the road.
You could probably use a brush to clean your TB with the product, but I'd be leery of sitting it in there for any length of time.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:55 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by dsertdog56
The only thing I'd be concerned about is the ball bearings in the TB that hold the throttle shaft. If your cleaner gets through the seals and emulisfies the grease, you'll have a problem down the road.
You could probably use a brush to clean your TB with the product, but I'd be leery of sitting it in there for any length of time.
I would think if he spays a little PB Blast on it, it'll be okay.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you could, but i don't think its necessary. you soak a carb in carb cleaner because it had lots of tiny passages that need to be cleaned out. your TB is a chunk of aluminum with a big hole in the middle, and only one or two ports for IAC and MAP that can be easily checked with your eyeball.

so its a waste of time to soak it in carb cleaner. just spray it with a little spray and hit the dirty spots with a toothbrush and you're done.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:27 PM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
you could, but i don't think its necessary. you soak a carb in carb cleaner because it had lots of tiny passages that need to be cleaned out. your TB is a chunk of aluminum with a big hole in the middle, and only one or two ports for IAC and MAP that can be easily checked with your eyeball.

so its a waste of time to soak it in carb cleaner. just spray it with a little spray and hit the dirty spots with a toothbrush and you're done.
that' what I did when I had it off to do the mod on it. I used my rifle cleaning kit with the toothbrush looking cleaner and it did the job great. You probably have the Chemtool Cleaning Gallon can by Berryman.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

What does the PB blast do for that?

Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 PM
J415
Champion

PB Blaster is just a penatrating lubricant just like WD 40 or anything else like that.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I know that that, but why would you use it on the throttle shaft bearings? It's a lubricant, but not for an application that uses grease.

Actually PB Blaster is superior to WD-40. Gods, that'll get a discussion going!

Quick Reply: Soaking the TB in a bucket of carb/parts cleaner