2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Regular Cab/Club Cab Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! I like seeing a man with vision. I couldn't tell you about the length, though. I did a similar project, but mine was a club cab to quad cab conversion. I bought a wrecked truck that happened to be the same year as my truck. Theirs was a two wheel drive, mine was a four wheel drive, so their cab went on my truck. the wiring was simple, just un-connect the wiring under the dash, carefully release the grommet from inside, and push all the wires through. My advice: find a junk truck with a club cab, and preferably blown power train, then swap your stuff into that frame. One aspect that no one (including me) thinks of is the legality. The VIN is assigned to both the frame AND the cab. Placing one cab on another frame requires (where I live anyway) that you take your machine to the county vehicle inspector (requires appointment) so he can determine that it's road worthy. Then you go to the tag agency (with some paperwork that the man will have you fill out) and they will assign a second VIN to your registration. If you get a junk truck and restore it, you'd just have to redeem the salvage title. One other pointer: if possible, get a Quad cab. If you're the kind that needs the extra room, the double doors will make life more enjoyable.. Good luck and keep us posted!!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:17 AM
APA228
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand you wanting to change the majority of the truck from what your brother had into something for your family, but keeping it because it was your brothers. If you want to honor your brother's memory restore it was when it was his. If you want a family truck get one. Saying the chassis is "my brother's truck" doesn't make sense to me.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Johnnyrocket, that is a good idea about going to a Quad Cab instead of a Club Cab, but doesn't the Quab Cab have some extra reinforcement under the cab, to compensate for the lack of a B-pillar?

Old 04-11-2009, 05:17 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Originally Posted by Bob5151
Johnnyrocket, that is a good idea about going to a Quad Cab instead of a Club Cab, but doesn't the Quab Cab have some extra reinforcement under the cab, to compensate for the lack of a B-pillar?
As far as I know, no. The cab may have extra reinforcement, but the frame is the same. It's already gonna take some fancy fabbing of the cab to frame mounts, so I would suggest seeing if the cab will set on the mounts without the rubber padding. Then you can clamp the brackets hard to the cab and frame and weld away. Then lift the cab enough to get the rubber pads under it and bolt it down. you may have to lengthen the cab section of the frame, though. Check the curvature of the frame first; you might be able to just swap frames. That would be much easier. Also, the oldest Quad Cab is a 99 and yours is a 95; I would suggest pulling the wiring from yours and replacing in the donor cab, that way plug mates to plug, and no splicing wires. Good Luck!!!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

See Mine??

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-cab-swap.html

I had lots of fun, and everyone thought I was crazy, too....

Old 04-11-2009, 10:50 PM
vmann
Veteran

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket5363
See Mine??

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-cab-swap.html

I had lots of fun, and everyone thought I was crazy, too....
you are crazy

Old 04-12-2009, 07:18 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Originally Posted by vmann
you are crazy
I may be crazy, but I have four doors now!! Don't hate me cause I'm ambitious!!

Old 04-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been wondering if you could get a quad cab, move the rear springs forward to the regular cab location, put in a regular cab rear driveshaft and gas tank, shorten the bed, and hack off the end of the frame.
What you want to do sounds like a looooooot more work.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Trey318
Captain

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket5363
As far as I know, no. The cab may have extra reinforcement, but the frame is the same. It's already gonna take some fancy fabbing of the cab to frame mounts, so I would suggest seeing if the cab will set on the mounts without the rubber padding. Then you can clamp the brackets hard to the cab and frame and weld away. Then lift the cab enough to get the rubber pads under it and bolt it down. you may have to lengthen the cab section of the frame, though. Check the curvature of the frame first; you might be able to just swap frames. That would be much easier. Also, the oldest Quad Cab is a 99 and yours is a 95; I would suggest pulling the wiring from yours and replacing in the donor cab, that way plug mates to plug, and no splicing wires. Good Luck!!!
I've got a 98 quad cab, no conversion. Believe they started in 98 with the new style dash, etc.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:05 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Oops, my goof. Sorry!! Also, it sounds to me like you want to go from a long bed to a short bed to save work. However, this is apparently not the case. You will have to make the frame longer under the cab section regardless what else you do; a shorter box will not change that. In fact, you'd have to cut a chunk of frame out from under your bed. This is still do-able; you just have to take careful measurements, and be very meticulous...

Quick Reply: Regular Cab/Club Cab Swap