2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 1500 5.2L Squeeling Belt/Harmonic Balancer? PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Gwallman31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1997 1500 5.2L Squeeling Belt/Harmonic Balancer? PLEASE HELP!!

Okay so had some squeeling under the hood, figured it was serpentine belt. Relaced that, good for about 10 minutes, started again. Anyway, this keeps happening, I have replaced the tensioner, idler, belt multiple times, every pulley but the water pump ( water pump was replaced a year ago) and the Harmonic Balancer? Tried to figure out what the sound was and i think its the water pump.

Went to go buy the water pump, started bull****ting with the the parts guy and he says something about the harmonic balancer? I didn't even think of that, but could this be it? I need a tutorial if someone has one on how to replace it, or give your input on what might be wrong. THANKS!!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:50 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

start of with the simple stuff. spray the idler pulley with some PB Blaster and let it penetrate. Have you tried using some belt dressing?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:53 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i doubt that its the balancer, unless its just falling apart or something. check alternator, a/c, and p/s pulleys.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 PM
turbokev

I bought a 97 Ram 1500 4X4 with the 5.2 and a manual trans earlier today.. After putting 100 miles on it I started hearing the slightest 'chirp' coming from under the hood.. Seemed to be the belt.

I sprayed it down with belt dressing and the chirping went away.. Next time I started the truck it started squealing VERY loudly.. I shut it off and decided to deal with it tomorrow. I plan on spraying all the pulley centers with PB and replacing the belt. I hope that will take care of it~

Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by turbokev
I bought a 97 Ram 1500 4X4 with the 5.2 and a manual trans earlier today.. After putting 100 miles on it I started hearing the slightest 'chirp' coming from under the hood.. Seemed to be the belt.

I sprayed it down with belt dressing and the chirping went away.. Next time I started the truck it started squealing VERY loudly.. I shut it off and decided to deal with it tomorrow. I plan on spraying all the pulley centers with PB and replacing the belt. I hope that will take care of it~
stupid question, but did you follow the instructions. they are specific. take the belt off, clean it and try again. The only belt dressing I use is pyroil. it works great for me. If your gonna buy a new belt, get a gator back belt. they lessen the noise coming from the engine.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:17 PM
turbokev

I bought the new belt this morning.. they didn't have the gatorback in stock so I got the Duralast version at Autozone.

I took off the old belt, sprayed brake parts cleaner on the pulley surfaces that make contact with the belt, wiped everything down and then lubed each pulley center with WD40.

I put on the new belt and fired it up to silence.. Everything is nice and quiet now.

While the belt was off I spun the alt, PS, idler and the top center one that is just a carrier.. that one was making a slight chirp when I spun it by hand, so I'm assuming that's where my big squeal was coming from.

Nice to have it so quiet now

Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 PM
J415
Champion

It's often the simple answer that evades us when searching for a solution. Glad you got that fixed.

Quick Reply: 1997 1500 5.2L Squeeling Belt/Harmonic Balancer? PLEASE HELP!!