2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10 and Viper V10 differences

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:15 AM
strang3majik
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V10 and Viper V10 differences

Hey guys...

I have an odd project idea thats been cooking in my head awhile...but, to more fuel it, after checking prices, I have a question.

Now, the early Viper V10s are around $6000 if you find one cheap. But, one thing I do know is, the V10s offered in the heavy duty trucks are the same, basically, as the early Viper motors. Being they are 8.0L V10s.

But, my question is...what are the differences between the two?

Isn't one cast? And the other aluminum? Also, is the compression the same? How about computer and all?
I was just wondering, because...truck V10s are a good $4500 cheaper...lol

and no...the SS/T is staying with a 360...lol But, maybe my TSI isn't....

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:52 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I was originally told, and read something a long time ago that agreed, that Ram 2500s with the V10 fired two cylinders at a time, rather than the traditional one at a time like a Viper's V10 would do. Supposedly thats why the Ram 2500s with V10s don't have much get up and go for their size of engine, but have a crap load of pulling power.

Its been a while though, someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

EDIT:

Did some quick research, and found this additional info. Will continue to search to confirm the two cylinder vs one cylinder firing.

The Viper's had aluminum, the trucks had iron. The Viper had 9.6:1 compression, the trucks had 8.4:1 compression.

EDIT 2:

After a little bit more research, it appears the two cylinders at a time thing is false. I apologize for the misinformation.

Last edited by jasonw; 04-11-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:03 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The computer is completely different, and the engines are set up for two different purposes. They may both be v 10s and 8 L but theyre tuned and everyting completely diff?

Quick Reply: V10 and Viper V10 differences