2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performace Chip or Performance Programmer

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:41 PM
chuy777
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performace Chip or Performance Programmer

I have a 1996 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2l. I was wondering if there was a manufacturer that makes a performance chip or performance programer.

I know one can get headers, exhaust, intake and throttle body for the truck, just wanted to know if there is anything else used to increase performance without going into the motor.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:58 PM
toader222

for a chip, programmer, or computer you only have a limited selection with the model year, i am in the same predicament.

your first option would be a jet chip, they offer 2 stages the first #90002 is for basically stock trucks, it basically changes the timing and the fuel curves. the second stage is the #90002s which requires the use of a 180 thermostat and an exhaust and premium fuel so the motor does not ping. either chip is around 250 bux

for a programmer i have heard that SCT can make you a performance tune but you have to buy the tuner and get a tune specifically made for your truck, the tuner itself costs around 500 bux ( i have heard that hemifever is quite fluent in this direction if you so chose this route)

last but not least mopar did make a perfromance PCM which can sometimes be found on ebay that sell for diffrent amounts.

regardless it is all up to you which you choose, you will hear bad things about all of them, i know i did when i was first looking at my options. as for me i would go with the sct tuner if i had the money. hope this answers your question

Old 04-14-2009, 05:53 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I'm getting ready to put a SCT tuner on ebay. PM me if you want it.

Quick Reply: Performace Chip or Performance Programmer