2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Superchips Update

Anyone here with a Flashpaq 3815 that has updated the programmer since February and programmed their truck with any of the tunes?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:35 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no but im curous , did they change anything ??

Old 04-15-2009, 06:51 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I asked because my truck has a severe hesitation and stumbling problem when tuned with any tunes right now. Returned to stock, there is only a very slight hesitation on take-off, with no stumbling.

No CELs have ever been set, and code readers can't find any codes on the computer.

Was curious if it is something wrong with the truck thats just aggravated by advanced timing/etc. associated with a performance tune, or whether its the tunes itself. It didn't start acting up until after an update, but Superchips swears up and down (going back and forth with them for a week) that its my truck because "I'm the only one to report the issue" and the engineers say the tune files are fine. Maybe something just happened to fail the night I updated to the latest tune database.

I think I might replace the MAP and TPS sensors here tomorrow, as they aren't too expensive ($95 for MAP, $40 for TPS), and both can cause hesitation and stumbling, or so I've read from my research. I'm hoping one of them is going bad, and acts up really bad when a tune tries to man-handle it.

Last edited by jasonw; 04-15-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:36 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

let me know how it goes

Old 04-15-2009, 09:38 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
I asked because my truck has a severe hesitation and stumbling problem when tuned with any tunes right now. Returned to stock, there is only a very slight hesitation on take-off, with no stumbling.

No CELs have ever been set, and code readers can't find any codes on the computer.

Was curious if it is something wrong with the truck thats just aggravated by advanced timing/etc. associated with a performance tune, or whether its the tunes itself. It didn't start acting up until after an update, but Superchips swears up and down (going back and forth with them for a week) that its my truck because "I'm the only one to report the issue" and the engineers say the tune files are fine. Maybe something just happened to fail the night I updated to the latest tune database.

I think I might replace the MAP and TPS sensors here tomorrow, as they aren't too expensive ($95 for MAP, $40 for TPS), and both can cause hesitation and stumbling, or so I've read from my research. I'm hoping one of them is going bad, and acts up really bad when a tune tries to man-handle it.

I won't be home to re-check my DTC issue till next weekend so thats why I haven't haven't gotten back to you yet jason. Also before you spend $40 on a TPS, how about testing it first with a volt meter. To tell you the truth, im a little fuzzy on how I did it but I think I remember. Im sure there is a writeup around here somewhere which I would double check first. As I recall I opened the hood, shoved the red lead from the volt meter into the back of the tps plug (middle wire) while everything was still attached. Had my brother hold it there while putting the black lead to ground. Turned the ignition to Run position and took note of reading on the volt meter with the pedal out, then slowly increased pressure. As the pedal pressure increases, so should the voltage reading. There shouldn't be any dips in the voltage reading as you increase pedal pressure. If there is, you know your sensor is bad and should replace. If I run across that writeup somewhere ill post a link. As far as the MAP, I never have tested it or replaced mine so your on your own on that one.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 04-15-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

mine works fine.. did it 3 weeks ago.. i'm running it on gas saver right now... make sure you're running 93 gas

Old 04-15-2009, 10:44 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iwhitne
mine works fine.. did it 3 weeks ago.. i'm running it on gas saver right now... make sure you're running 93 gas
Notice any increase in mpg's? What about power do you think there number are to high for how much this tuner is suppose to help?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:22 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Notice any increase in mpg's? What about power do you think there number are to high for how much this tuner is suppose to help?
I've tried it and it is a tough call. I don't have start numbers to reference, nor the $$ to keep dumping in the tank to keep checking my mileage either. Eventually I will do it, but definately not at the moment. The one thing I notice with the mileage tune is... my exhaust note is completely different (almost hollow sounding). It also a definately lack of power (which is expected) but in my case it keeps shifting since im surrounded by hills. Im sure the mileage tune helps for some, but i doubt it helps in my situation / area. YMMV

Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcfixerpro
I've tried it and it is a tough call. I don't have start numbers to reference, nor the $$ to keep dumping in the tank to keep checking my mileage either. Eventually I will do it, but definately not at the moment. The one thing I notice with the mileage tune is... my exhaust note is completely different (almost hollow sounding). It also a definately lack of power (which is expected) but in my case it keeps shifting since im surrounded by hills. Im sure the mileage tune helps for some, but i doubt it helps in my situation / area. YMMV
It dose help to have an idea I got 13 in my ram the other week going up to mt. pocono. That was doing 75 most of the way. Got 9.8 on the way home I was heavy on fuel and was doing 80.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:59 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by iwhitne
So you did yours the last week in March (ish)?

It did start doing it two days after I had the modified intake manifold installed and Hughes plenum kit installed, so bar the tuner, I am thinking MAP or TPS, as they might have been bumped around too much or simply were old (to my knowledge, they are factory original, truck currently has just under 68000 miles) and a little mucking with simply pushed them over the edge.

If the truck was doing it without the tune, what else would guys suggest? I will test those two sensors before I replace them.

And yes, I run 92 octane gas for the 91 performance tune. There is no 93 in my area. I always get my gas from BP, never had problems with the station before. Would do Shell since its a lot closer to my apartment, but they recently started putting 10% ethanol in their 92. I do not like that stuff in my truck, MPGs go down.

Quick Reply: Superchips Update