2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10 valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009 | 05:35 PM
Gotta feed them horses
|
Professional
Default V10 valve cover

I was investigating what I thought to be a plenum leak.. not even sure if the V10 has a plenum thing..... because the truck lost about 3 quarts of oil since the last change. I was looking around the engine compartment and saw some oil caked around the valve covers. The bolts were ALL loose!!! I don't know how they got loose or why anybody would take the valve covers off. I tightened the bolts up.. took forever to get to the back left one. Now I don't know if I need to replace the valve cover gaskets because I assume they are soaked in oil now. I was thinking about just taking the old covers off and getting some viper covers while I was replacing the gaskets.. Is it even necessary to replace the gaskets? Is there any simple mod I could do to the valves while I have the covers off? Thanks.

Old 04-15-2009 | 06:17 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

i dunno maybe harland sharp rockers call them up see if they make em for the v10

Old 04-15-2009 | 07:56 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

if the original gaskets are cork, they probably just shrunk from heat and age and the bolts may have just lost torque. just tighten down, clean em off good and see if they leak. if so, replace them. be prepared for a little sticker shock on gaskets. i replaced mine a while back just to stop all the oil leaks and the nice, rubber/metal reinforced felpro's were $40.

Old 04-15-2009 | 10:55 PM
Gotta feed them horses
|
Professional

I cleaned up the covers and the sides of the block with purple power and I will see tomorrow if it still leaks after my drive to school.

Quick Reply: V10 valve cover