2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

flushing the brake system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 PM
ophidia
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That really is a damn good idea re. the ps fluid/turkey baster. The turkey baster works well to blow detritus off of the live rock in a reef aquarium too.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:59 PM
UltraMag50
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I probably should do the PS too. it probably hasent been changed in the life of my truck. as a matter of fact, none of the fluids besides the engine oil have probably been changed. I read a tutorial someone did on flushing their PS system, think im gonna do that.

That leads me to another question, i know the potential consequences of changing engine oil from conventional to synthetic in 100k+ engines, can the same thing happen if i was to drain the diffs and put in synthetic? and what about the trans? Theres no shifting problems with teh trans right now, but again, probably needs to be done.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:57 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, if you plan on using ATF +4 then you have no choice. It's fully synthetic. Eventually you'll have to use synthetic for your tranny since I'm sure Chrysler will phase out +3. Might as well bite the bullet now.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:54 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

atf+4 is already synthetic. don't use anything but this. also use this in t-case.

the only downside to using synthetics in the front/rear diff is the cost. its expensive. and if you drive through deep water, you need to drain/replace your fluids regularly to make sure your not carrying any water in there. i don't use syn's in the diff. plain old 85w90 is expensive enough and fine for me. some people claim to pick up 1 extra mpg with syn's. i don't know, i doubt it.

Quick Reply: flushing the brake system?