2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Astrostart-- starts then immediately dies.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:15 PM
ophidia
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Astrostart-- starts then immediately dies.

My truck has what appears to be an older Astrostart in it, with the basic 6 button remote. Up until very recently it all worked-- started the truck, unlocked the doors. Not much else going on.

I noticed today that, when I start it up with the remote, it fires up then immediately dies about a second into it.

I looked down where the unit is, and no wires appear loose. I checked the fuses and they are good as well. The only thing that's disconnected is the wire from the safety switch under the hood (so it will start with the hood open). The previous owner apparently defeated that and I haven't gotten around to fixing it.

The only things that I've messed with since the last time I knew it to work are:

1. Replaced the clear cover over the cluster-- this involved removing the knee bolster in order to drop the wheel down enough to get the cover off.
2. I replaced the plug wires.

Any ideas?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 AM
ophidia
Captain

Bump.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Wish I new too as mine is doing pretty much the same thing. I put mine in so I always blamed myself for not working 100% I put mine in, in the middle of winter so everytime I started it, it worked perfectly for some reason. Im thinking... that was a piece of cake. Then one day I tried to start it after being driven and it did what you are talking about (start, run for few sec, cut off) The thing is my remote start (and I assume yours too) is set to "voltage sense" by default so it looks to see if there is a voltage increase. If there is, then it knows that the truck started. In the winter time when it was working fine, the truck idles at 1000 rpm or so, so im sure it is charging the alternator where as now that it was 85 degrees out yesterday it doesn't high idle when you start it, and in turn I assume the problem is the truck isn't charging enough at low idle for the remote start to know that the truck is running. That is honestly my best guess. I tried to fix this problem a month ago or so by using the "optional tach wire" and use that instead of the voltage sense. Problem is... after I ran it, tap'd into the coil wire, hooked it up to the box.... it doesn't like it. The box will not read whatever voltage is comming off the coil so it can't learn it The wire is still ran, but... it isn't functional at the moment. I checked it with a volt meter to make sure my tap splice hit the coil wire and it did.... so I know there is voltage on the wire I ran. Just that the remote start won't read it. I need to call support eventually and see what im missing.

Quick Reply: Astrostart-- starts then immediately dies.