2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Abs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:37 AM
quadracer18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs??

Im looking to replace my front hubs on my truck. Its a 1998 ram 1500 5.2L. I replaced my brakes the other day and I didnt see any wires going to my hubs so now im not sure if my truck is equipped with ABS so i dont know which hubs to buy. Is there a way to easily find out if my truck has ABS? when i start it, i do notice that an ABS light comes on for a second but not seeing the wires come out of the hubs gives me the impression that i dont have it. Any help is appreciated!

Old 04-18-2009, 04:50 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to or call a local Chrysler dealer, and give them your VIN number. They can usually print out a spec sheet with everything your truck came with stock.

There is also (forget the exact link) a way to email Chrysler corporate to get the VIN "decoded", but they sometimes take anywhere from a few days to a week or so to get back to you.

These trucks came standard with rear wheel ABS and four wheel ABS was an option (pretty rare).

Old 04-18-2009, 04:59 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One way is to check the inner side of the rotor for an abs sensor. Also, you can check and see if you have a relay for your front abs. you should do a search for your question, since this is a common question. someone just posted the same topic a couple of days ago.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:48 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you don't have a visible wire plugged into a hole in the knuckle, then you have rear wheel only abs, and you will need non-abs hubs.

most all of our trucks are rear-abs only. remove the tire and count the hoses/wires on the front. you should see (one) brake hose to the caliper. if there's second wire to the back side of the steering knuckle - that's abs.