2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wrapping Vinyl - Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapping Vinyl - Ideas?

I built my center console today and want to wrap it in this vinyl I bought. Well I attempted a pre-run on my subwoofer box I also built, and it didn't turn out so pretty. So, my question is, how the h*ll do you wrap this stuff properly? Any DIY links I'm not aware of? I'm not too worried about seams, as long as they look good. I'm also aware that I can take it apart, and wrap each piece individually, but then I have all these screws showing. Any way around that? I want this console to be bada$$. It's the console that I put in place of the drink holder, if y'all needed to know. Thanks!

Not quite finished yet, but very close.

Last edited by EndIsNear; 04-19-2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Forgot Pics
Old 04-18-2009, 11:54 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put pics up of what youre wrappin.....is it wood? if so id use hot glue and staples

Old 04-19-2009, 02:49 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

use a biscuit joint or a peg. that way you don't have any screws showing. remember to get the vinyl nice and warm so it can be as pliable as possible.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:05 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or on the back side put some blocks on the corners where they meet so you can screw them together from the back............r u gonna put foam on it b4 wrapping?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:08 AM
hutch1973
Captain

Probably not going to be fun. I was researching the same thing for my project and haven't had much luck uncovering anything of value. Did see a pretty common theme of guys having good luck with DAP Weldwood contact cement, red can, that you can get at lowes/home depot. They were applying it to both surfaces, letting it set up for 20 minutes or so, then applying it. You can put it on with a brush, but only brush one way, and never go back over what you've already put down. Also need to make sure you don't have a lot of humidity when you do it.

Since so little of my sub box is exposed, probably going to not care too much about it for awhile.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:26 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

I wasn't sure about the foam. What do you guys think? Would it make it look and obviously feel better? And I also think that taking it apart, wrapping it, and gluing it together with brackets on the inside might be strong enough. I'll give it a try

Old 04-19-2009, 02:59 PM
el_oso
Professional

That's an easy wrap. You have perfect places for seams that would never be seen. Some vinyls stretch more than others, some stretch in one direction buy not another. I use a hairdryer as I work, especially on odd shapes. Most imporant: USE AN ADHESIVE MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR RUBBER AND VINYL, other wise the plasticizers in the vinyl will migrate to the adhesive causing it to turn slimy/gummy and fail. Also amount applied is important. Not enough and it won't hold, too much and the spray pattern will read through the vinyl.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:43 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by el_oso
That's an easy wrap. You have perfect places for seams that would never be seen. Some vinyls stretch more than others, some stretch in one direction buy not another. I use a hairdryer as I work, especially on odd shapes. Most imporant: USE AN ADHESIVE MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR RUBBER AND VINYL, other wise the plasticizers in the vinyl will migrate to the adhesive causing it to turn slimy/gummy and fail. Also amount applied is important. Not enough and it won't hold, too much and the spray pattern will read through the vinyl.
What specific products would you recommend? When I was looking at the DIY audio sites they seemed to bash just about every product out there.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:01 AM
el_oso
Professional

Originally Posted by hutch1973
What specific products would you recommend? When I was looking at the DIY audio sites they seemed to bash just about every product out there.
lol, DIY sites are like all others ... nobody likes anything.

What products are you asking about?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Finally! I took mine back apart and wrapped it properly. Not quite finished, but it's turning out beautifully. I built mine a lot different though. I'm a huge monster energy drink fan, so I built a can holder! Holds about 5 cans. But I also built a removable face into it to put switches, lights, etc. I like it! I'll post pics when I'm done.

Quick Reply: Wrapping Vinyl - Ideas?