2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is Tranny fluid to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 12:48 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Not really, they are all basically the same thing. Most people have a preference(including me). I usually prefer either Valvoline, or MOPAR brand. I just have a hard time putting in house brands on anything that expensive. IE Supertec

Old 04-23-2009 | 01:05 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
does it matter which brand of atf4?
i've used the valvoline brand and had good luck. its a couple bucks per quart cheaper than the mopar. walmart has their supertech brand for another dollar or two cheaper, but i can't bring myself to using that.

i think any brand thats certified as atf+4 is fine. if it didn't meet spec, it wouldn't be licensed.

Old 04-23-2009 | 01:10 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by JJRae
I took it in to have the truck serviced to maintain the extended warranty I purchased on it.
ok, i'm confused. if you have an extended warranty, then it should have covered the repair. did it ? if not, it wasn't much of a warranty.

if its any consolation, transmission failure at 100k is common with these POS transmissions.

Old 04-23-2009 | 06:42 AM
PurplDodge
Legend

Why are you guys afraid to use Supertech? I use Coastal ATF+4. It is $4, and Valvoline is $6.
http://www.centerforqa.com/licensedatf4brands.html

Laramie- Can you fit anymore quotes in your damn sig?

Last edited by PurplDodge; 04-23-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2009 | 09:56 AM
JJRae
|
Default All the details

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
ok, i'm confused. if you have an extended warranty, then it should have covered the repair. did it ? if not, it wasn't much of a warranty.

if its any consolation, transmission failure at 100k is common with these POS transmissions.
You are a man of details lol.

Well I bought the truck used at CarMax in Roseville, CA. When I did I bought a 24k 2 year warranty. I had it serviced at Carmax only so if anything did go wrong it would be Carmax all the way.

That's also where I took the truck for the 90k mile service and they damaged the tranny. After I took it back in and they added more or the wrong fluid the transmission made a knocking noise while idling in my garage.
I had it in the garage idling because I was installing a new car stereo. The reason I was installing the new car stereo was because Carmax put the passenger side 6x9 in upside down and the water-guard became a funnel destroying the amp and leaving standing water in the passengers side floor under the carpet.
I was using the A/C to pull the moister out from under the rubber backed carpet. I thought my warranty was up and I was fortunate to find the actual card with a mileage expiration on it. I was relived to find I had 200miles left on the warranty.
Carmax won't do transmissions so I took it to a shop I have taken my old Z to on occasion for clutches. He pulled the pan and said he saw nothing wrong with the Dodges tranny.
I know that I heard the noise from the tranny though because I used a screwdriver against my ear to make sure. So I called Carmax and told them they screwed up and they claim they simply wrote down the wrong fluid and put in ATF +4.
As far as the speaker they said to prove they installed it upside down. They were the only ones in the passenger door since I owned it, they had to fix the power window regulator.
So I took it to a 2nd shop and they called me that afternoon and said there was nothing wrong with the tranny. They said they would drop the pan and see if Carmax used the right filter and that they would put ATF+4 in it.
The next day I called them and they told me they found metal shavings in the pan.
The tranny shop said they had talked to Carmax and Carmax said they would take care if it. I then called Carmax to get a loaner, at that point Carmax said, "we did nothing wrong and you need to get a rental yourself and have the warranty company reimburse you for the rental." I told them the tranny was fine till they touched it, and they said prove it.
Even though on their own receipt it shows they used 5qts of VV324. I expected Carmax to pay for the repairs as my warranty has a $75.00 deductible. I know it's a bargain to have a tranny rebuilt for $75.00.
I look at it though that Carmax charged me $475.00 to "F" up my truck ($400.00 for the 90k service not counting the 6x9w/amp they destroyed). That's why I'm pissed. To top it off there is a big sign on the front of Carmax's counter saying "If we don't do it right, it's free" That's where I'm stuck at right now, anyone got a tow? lol

Old 04-23-2009 | 10:37 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by PurplDodge

Laramie- Can you fit anymore quotes in your damn sig?
Yes, yes I can.

Old 04-23-2009 | 01:19 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

I just rebuilt my trans back in December and I filled it up with Valvoline ATF+4 Synthetic. It seems to be running great so far. I typically try to stick with valvoline whenever possible, but that is just my preference.

Old 04-23-2009 | 02:37 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Yes, yes I can.

you should put purpls in there too

Old 04-23-2009 | 06:05 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
you should put purpls in there too
Done and Done.

Old 04-23-2009 | 10:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

JJRae, ^^^ classic story. a place does shoddy work, and then says - "screw you. prove it". i like the part where they said - we put in the right stuff, but we just wrote it down wrong. a$$holes. unless you've got a friend or relative or good old buddy thats a lawyer or paralegal (someone that will actually do something, and do it for nothing), you're probably just out of luck. i wouldn't pay a lawyer to pursue it. without a statement from a mechanic, or oil analysis, or pictures, carmax lawyers will just call the bluff, and you'll end up wasting more money.

Quick Reply: Is Tranny fluid to blame?