2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chevy Steering Gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 09:01 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Chevy Steering Gearbox?

I've heard that a steering gearbox from an '88 to '96 chevy 3/4 ton will cure our problems. If this is so, these should be cheaper. I've always thought they looked similar..... Can anyone verify this?

Old 04-19-2009, 10:17 PM
kevinmckeddie

not sure but i woulds like to know too, chev has always had good steering boxes, and RWD transmissions, and v8's that dont crack....don't get me wrong i love my dodge, but have always had less problems with RWD and 4x4 gm probucts, but there FWD stuff is sh*t...lol

Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump bump

Old 04-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinmckeddie
not sure but i woulds like to know too, chev has always had good steering boxes, and RWD transmissions, and v8's that dont crack....don't get me wrong i love my dodge, but have always had less problems with RWD and 4x4 gm probucts, but there FWD stuff is sh*t...lol
You're kidding, right? I've always known Chevy steering gear boxes to always be full of slop and have too much play, even when brand new.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Handstand muddin... now that's funny.
I dont' know what you mean by 'cure our problems'. I've not known the steering or wander problems to be in the steering box. Nor for them to have premature failure. You can put on a 3/4 Dodge box on a 1/2 but I don't know about putting on one from another manufacturer. I've never seen anything on it either. I am thinking it may not because the bolt holes would have to line up and they'd have to sit the box at the right angle. With the way Chevys and Dodges sit on their frames so different, it doesn't seem likely to me.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Well considering the boxes aren't made by the manufacturer, you can't say that chevy has good (or bad) steering boxes. Most are made by saginaw, I know the Chevy is, I know my Jeep is, I know the Durangos and Dakotas are, but I'm not too sure about the ram.

I'm thinking that possibly the Chevy box mounts with 4 bolts while the Dodge is mounted with 3 bolts.

Quick Reply: Chevy Steering Gearbox?