2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrade/Maintenance tips for this Noob

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Optimus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by zman17
I don't want to rain on your new truck parade(congrats and welcome btw), but, it is NOT too soon to check the plenum gasket http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm . And the steering slop is not going to be solved with that fix in the DIY. Before you go wasting your money on useless mods, ie, MSD ignition, and horrible looking hood scoops and such. I would do a complete tune up (with champion truck plugs and a quality brand set of stock wires like Standard Motor Products for instance) follow the TSB for spark plug routing and a change of all fluids , and do more searching on here for the rest of the common probs with these rigs. And btw, it is not all that common for the head gaskets to blow, it is more common to have a cracked head or two. Search for trac bar, hub bearings, tie rods,transmission, to name a few. Go over the whole truck before you spend money on mods and then more money on fixing everything else common.
I don't recall saying my first intent was to blindly spend money. I said I was new to Dodge, but I am not new to maintaining my own vehicles (18 years of it). I am merely getting info, NOW, so I can plan things later on. However, I may just have to get those hood scoops now I realize they are not for everyone, and I can certainly respect that. Even though the Lund scoops aren't going to do a darn thing, I come from a world of functional hood scoops, intercoolers, turbos, and otherwise hot engine bays that need cooling. I'm just used to having the bump on the hood.

As for other stuff, the transmission is new/rebuilt and still has warranty left on it, the tie rods and remainder of the steering is tight (only the gearbox has slop), front and rear brakes were done last month (front rotors were turned and are still warped) and it doesn't even leak anything anywhere except a slow weep out of the rear axle pinion seal.

But as I said, the engine could run a little smoother. So, I will be doing a tune up. And, if I'm going to spend money on plugs, wires, etc... I might as well plan it right. I have no idea how old the stock coil is, other than it looks original and crusty. So, why not upgrade to a 6a or something.

Regarding cracked heads, what are the symptoms? Again, I've had plenty of experience with other vehicles, but symptoms vary so I can't assume what I've seen before is what happens on a 360. Some engines with cracked heads will dump massive amounts of coolant into the exhaust creating the "Uncle Buck" white billowing clouds and an unmistakable sweet smell. Other vehicles will blow air into the cooling system, but only at certain times such as when the engine is cold, or only after driving on the freeway for extended periods, etc.... Some vehicles will just have a temp gauge that goes haywire because of air pockets, others will blow coolant out the overflow bottle and all over the engine bay. I've only driven 200 miles, but I haven't lost any coolant.

My first bit of work will be:

1. plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil
2. exhaust (current one is leaking pretty good after the muffler, which is also near it's end of life)
3. Get the slop fixed in the steering gear box
4. get 33x12.5R15's and some 15x8 wheels, or similar size and replace the stock 3 spokes. Front tires came from another truck and are well worn and cupped. Rear tires are fine but an off brand and I don't want them other than for a spare. The truck is all black with black trim (sport), so i will probably go for black wheels to finish it off.
5. flush engine, trans, t-case, diffs, brake fluids
6. make sure towing setup is functional. I may be towing a larger boat.
7. replace front rotors
8. get new wiper blades. Why is it every vehicle I buy has the worst wiper blades ever? Do people never replace them? I don't know how people can even drive in rain with the way the existing wipers are.... This is actually #1 on my list and will be done today. No point in worrying about anything else if I end up going in the ditch because it's raining and I can't see anything.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:24 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
dont you have a muffler and pipe for sale that he may be interested in?

Yes I do.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Unkonshis450
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I rebuilt my 95 at 215,000 miles, both heads were cracked...this is very common

Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont flush your engine and trans....nothin but trouble

Quick Reply: Upgrade/Maintenance tips for this Noob