2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrade/Maintenance tips for this Noob

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Optimus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade/Maintenance tips for this Noob

Hello,

I just bought my first Dodge, so I am new to them (though I am not new to vehicle repair in general). I'm looking for some additional tips and things to look for on my new (used) truck beyond what I've found so far. My truck is a 1998 Ram Sport 5.9L auto quad cab 4x4 short box. I already know about the intake oil leak issue, and it's too soon to tell if my truck has a problem or not. My steering is pretty sloppy too, though this is somewhat the "norm" for solid axle trucks. That being said, I checked all ball joints and all were tight. The slop seems to be in the gear box itself. I looked through the DYI guide and found the fix for this already (adjusting with a wrench).

Other info I'm still looking for:

1. Someone mentioned to me that the MSD ignition upgrade is "the bomb" for these trucks, but they didn't mention specific hardware and weren't sure of part #'s. Perhaps you more knowledgeable Dodge enthusiasts will have a better idea?
2. Recommendations for spark plug wires and spark plugs? Not sure when they were last changed other than it was probably about 30k ago when the heads were removed and serviced due to a ticking that developed for the previous owner. The current plug wires are crappy carquest ones. These have got to go.
3. As a possible result of old/crappy plugs/wires, the idle is not as smooth as it probably could be. Granted, the truck has 170k on it, and I've seen rougher idle than this on other vehicles, but I'd like to get it a little smoother.
4. Are these trucks prone to head gasket failures? If yes, what are the symptoms? I'm paranoid about this with any vehicle I buy because I've had to replace head gaskets before on other types of vehicles, and I hate doing it, and I wanted to AVOID doing it with this truck. I don't have much reason to believe there is a head gasket problem on this truck at all because overall it runs fairly well, though the coolant was about a quart low and there is the gurgling noise in the heater core in the dash. I haven't had a chance to burp it better other than to top the coolant off once. I'm assuming I need to get the nose pointed up high and let the system burp itself better. The heater does blow heat just fine. The gurgling seems to be on the first startup of the day when the engine is cold.
5. When and if these engines do have headgasket problems, what are the usual symptoms? I've found that symptoms vary widely depending on the vehicle brand and engine type, so I don't want to just assume anything. For all I know, these engines are pretty specific in how they fail.
6. I hate the stock 3 spot wheels. I may just go with Pro Comp or MT Alcoas, but I may get something else (used) if it's compatible. What other trucks have compatible wheels, both Dodge and non-Dodge? Someone told me the Ford and Chevy 5-bolt wheels will fit?
7. Are the hood scoops I'm seeing on a lot of 2nd generation Rams factory, or are they just a popular aftermarket add-on? I originally thought they might be factory and come on the Sports, but I just bought a sport and it doesn't have anything. Lund seems to make a (decorative-only) hood scoop that attaches with 3M tape and looks very similar to what I keep seeing on trucks for sale.
8. Typical price for a decent exhaust? My truck currently has a single exhaust and I'm not concerned about switching over to true duals or anything, but I'd like some input on what other people think is a good exhaust setup for these trucks (5.9L).

Thanks for helping this noob!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 04-20-2009, 03:16 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6-- ford 5x5 truck wheels up until 96 will work, not sure about chevy
7-- none of theses came with a stock hood scoop, do you have a pic of what youre talking about?.....
8-- are you just wanting sound or going for all out performance?....muffler shop should be able to hook you up with a house brand and tailpipes out the back for around $200

Old 04-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Optimus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
6-- ford 5x5 truck wheels up until 96 will work, not sure about chevy
7-- none of theses came with a stock hood scoop, do you have a pic of what youre talking about?.....
8-- are you just wanting sound or going for all out performance?....muffler shop should be able to hook you up with a house brand and tailpipes out the back for around $200
While I don't have a pic of the trucks I saw with the scoops (and these were online pics only, I never saw them up close), I think I found what I'm seeing. I did a quick search on eBay and found the Lund hood scoops. If you search eBay for "Lund 80001" you will see what I mean. I also found them by searching "dodge ram hood scoop." It looks to be a generic product for any vehicle. But still, I think it looks nice on the Ram, even though functionally it does not actually work as a scoop. They are just for looks. I've had vehicles before with functional scoops, so I was just curious. And looking at your picture of your truck, those look like the scoops I am talking about.

As for an exhaust, I'd be looking for performance before sound. I don't want to break the bank, but I'd consider new or used systems and would particularly like something bolt-on (that I can do myself). If a nice used stainless steel model came up on the for sale forum, I'd probably be interested in it. I don't need to be the loudest truck on the block, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind a little bit of the V8 sound to come through!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote "I just bought my first Dodge, so I am new to them (though I am not new to vehicle repair in general). I'm looking for some additional tips and things to look for on my new (used) truck beyond what I've found so far. My truck is a 1998 Ram Sport 5.9L auto quad cab 4x4 short box. I already know about the intake oil leak issue, and it's too soon to tell if my truck has a problem or not. My steering is pretty sloppy too, though this is somewhat the "norm" for solid axle trucks. That being said, I checked all ball joints and all were tight. The slop seems to be in the gear box itself. I looked through the DYI guide and found the fix for this already (adjusting with a wrench)."

I don't want to rain on your new truck parade(congrats and welcome btw), but, it is NOT too soon to check the plenum gasket http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm . And the steering slop is not going to be solved with that fix in the DIY. Before you go wasting your money on useless mods, ie, MSD ignition, and horrible looking hood scoops and such. I would do a complete tune up (with champion truck plugs and a quality brand set of stock wires like Standard Motor Products for instance) follow the TSB for spark plug routing and a change of all fluids , and do more searching on here for the rest of the common probs with these rigs. And btw, it is not all that common for the head gaskets to blow, it is more common to have a cracked head or two. Search for trac bar, hub bearings, tie rods,transmission, to name a few. Go over the whole truck before you spend money on mods and then more money on fixing everything else common.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Lund scoops for mine, check my sig pic. I know there a few more on here too with them. Prepare yourself for some criticism if you get them tho hahaha... I won't point fingers but there are a few here who don't 'approve' of them but it's all about your own preference........

Old 04-20-2009, 06:51 PM
talon6
Record Breaker

^^^^^that would be me^^^^^. he,he

Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

there ok put I want something that will work not just for looks. IE mowhak hood.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:06 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your gonna run MSD stuff like the msd 6A BOX then a regular plug will do or a slighty cooler plug like autolite 3924 , 3923 , the cap can be had at any parts store just make sure its brass , MSD wires you can use MSD streetfire that still use the stock wire looms , MSD coil you can use but then you will need the accel coil wire harness for it to work on newer trucks , MSD 6a box can be had on ebay cheap... MSD wire harness to hook up the 6a box to coil.. depends which way you want to go same as the coil to ...

i used the msd blaster coil that was no bigger then palm of my hand and that was mount to the firewall on passenger side and the 6a box was mounted on fender.. was nice and clean look to it..

Old 04-21-2009, 01:00 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
there ok put I want something that will work not just for looks. IE mowhak hood.

dont you have a muffler and pipe for sale that he may be interested in?

Quick Reply: Upgrade/Maintenance tips for this Noob