2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Governor solenoid and pressure sensor, It might not be.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:42 PM
blktre
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Governor solenoid and pressure sensor, It might not be.

My 98' Quad v-10 4x4 showed all the signs of the governor solenoid and pressure sensor needing replaced. Wouldn't shift out of 1st unless I lifted the throttle. All my research here said these parts were the culprit. I also read that the codes and engine light may or may not pop up. So I wasn't to surprised when they did not show.

After taking it to the best tranny guy in my town, he knew right away what it was after driving it. A busted arc band. He said I was lucky that the tranny didn't brick. Oh, when he got back from driving it, the dang thing suddenly would not go into park either. The shifting problem was a sudden thing too.

So I paid the guy $500 to fix it, which included a service on the tranny (fliter etc), adjusting the bands, and replacing a speed servo that showed in a code. I may have spent a tad more than some would of. But I had no idea what a arc band was or what to look for after dropping the valve body. Anyways, just thought id post this because it might not be a governor solenoid and pressure sensor problem. Fwiw, Id thought id share.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:49 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Bummer, but I've always thought if you can go into a trans shop with an issue, and get out for $500 or under, you're lucky.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:26 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very lucky!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:02 PM
blktre

I thought i was lucky too. My shop guy said after he looked at it i was a lucky SOB. Most the time when arc bands break, they brick the entire tranny.

Btw, my truck is white too.....

Old 04-20-2009, 11:10 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Must be the year for white truck transmissions then, knew I should have held out for electric blue.

Seriously, $500 isn't anything to be upset about. Mine started throwing codes this winter, I dropped the pan and changed all the sensors myself, and the parts ran me $500. When it didn't work, paid a trans shop another $500 to replace a harness and pcm to fix it right.

Last edited by hutch1973; 04-22-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
blktre

When it didn't work, paid a trans shop another $500 to replace a harness and pcm to fix it right.
This is exactly what i didn't want to run into. I had a price quote of $550 before the truck went into the shop. And the final bill was $508 including tax. The $550 didn't include adjusting all the bands. I know that's not a big deal, but it wasn't discussed until i dropped the truck off.

I also read about a short in the harness. Was praying it wasn't that. Seems like when that happens, the PCM is toast along with it.

Oh, what is electric blue? Duh......nevermind...LoL

I should snap a pic of my Whitey. 3/4 ton 4x4, v-10, Quad cab w/all the windows blacked out, 35" tires. Even tho its a 98', the truck is eye catching. Btw, i don't have any lift at all, just spaced out the wheels.

Last edited by blktre; 04-21-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

I'm still not sure what caused my problem earlier this year. Was showing codes for pres sensor and gov solenoid which I had just replaced last spring. Trans was running in limp mode. Replaced both and still had same problem. Replaced tcc solenoids to replace wiring in trans. Still had same problem. While disconnecting tv cable from the throttle body I broke the end off. Parked my truck for a couple days until I got a new cable. When I replaced the cable I went t start my truck and the battery was dead. I replaced the battery since I had no idea how old it was as it was in the truck when I bought it a year and a half ago. Found out that the battery in the truck was only a 600 cca when it should have been a 750 cca. After replacing the battery I haven't had the problem since. So was the problem caused by a bad battery or maybe when I routed the new tv cable over the trans I moved the harness wire and the problem is somewhere in the harness but hasn't occurred again in the last 2 months. I'm still waiting for that damned light to come on again.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by pavement_hater
I'm still not sure what caused my problem earlier this year. Was showing codes for pres sensor and gov solenoid which I had just replaced last spring. Trans was running in limp mode. Replaced both and still had same problem. Replaced tcc solenoids to replace wiring in trans. Still had same problem. While disconnecting tv cable from the throttle body I broke the end off. Parked my truck for a couple days until I got a new cable. When I replaced the cable I went t start my truck and the battery was dead. I replaced the battery since I had no idea how old it was as it was in the truck when I bought it a year and a half ago. Found out that the battery in the truck was only a 600 cca when it should have been a 750 cca. After replacing the battery I haven't had the problem since. So was the problem caused by a bad battery or maybe when I routed the new tv cable over the trans I moved the harness wire and the problem is somewhere in the harness but hasn't occurred again in the last 2 months. I'm still waiting for that damned light to come on again.
Isn't that the worst feeling? lol. I have an O2 sensor that has a bug once in awhile and throws a random cel, always worried it'll be a tranny code.

After I got my truck back from the trans shop, it was perfect for a month. Month later, cel, same codes. Took it back in and they retested everything, this time found a bad tps sensor, which then managed to throw tranny codes. Found out via some old forums that it's not that uncommon.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 AM
blktre

Good stuff, Thanks for the info. Im keeping this thread for a just in case scenario.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 PM
PartsChaser
Professional

[quote=hutch1973;1640003]Isn't that the worst feeling? lol. I have an O2 sensor that has a bug once in awhile and throws a random cel, always worried it'll be a tranny code.

I have the same thing on the O2 sensor just randomly throwing out a code, then mysteriously healing itself. The gutted CAT probably has something to do with it, but I am always nervous to check the code for fear its a Tranny issue.

Quick Reply: Governor solenoid and pressure sensor, It might not be.