2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Auto trans leaking... again

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:22 PM
Hoss98
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto trans leaking... again

I was wondering if any one else is having this problem or knows enough about transmissions to help me out. I have a 98 ram 4x4 with the 318 and an auto tranny. 70 k miles ago I had the tranny rebuilt and about 30k miles ago it started leaking. It neede to be flushed too so I had my mechanic look at it. he replaced the seal in the front and that fixed the leak. Now at 141K miles and it has started leaking in the front again. Does any one know any reason this could be happening? I have it up on 35x12.5 tires and a hypertech programer when I noticed the leek it was a week after I had gotten the tires and my Hypertech Programmer was still set for my old tires. Could this be the problem?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:17 PM
SilverRam_01
Captain

I don't know that I really have an answer to your question, but my truck was doing the same thing, leaking out the front pump. I was climbing a steep hill, hammered it, and then it died, and didn't want to start, but it finally did, drove it home, repalced the front pump seal, and it leaked again, I ended up have to replace the front pump and torque converter to make it quit leaking.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Hoss98
Professional

great I have already had to have it rebuilt and according to my mechanic we will have to drop the whole thing out to replace almost anything in the front but he hasnt looked at it yet so its not for sure. Whats weird is I dont think its really leaking anymore at least not nearly as bad. I switched my programmer to run my new 35's and premium gas instead of regular and the engine has never ran so smooth and instead of the rough shifting I am used to its really smooth and you can barley tell its shifting.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure its tranny fluid? It could be a leaky rear main seal on the motor.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Hoss98
Professional

no its red its gotta be transmission fluid

Old 04-29-2009, 09:41 AM
dblj16380
Veteran

Back in October my trans started to leak out of the inspection cover. I dropped the trans out to replace the seal and found out that my oil pump had went out and caused my front seal to basically weld itself to my torque converter. Rather than just sliding the TC off,I had to rig up a dent puller on it and yank it out. I ended up rebuilding my trans before I got it all fixed up right.

Of course, this was a week after I ran down the sign that did the damage to my truck. I'm not sure if the two are related as it seems that my trans should have gone out right away, but who knows.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Hoss98
Professional

Man that sucks. My tranny is performing fine and I havent seen a puddle in a while. Of course it really hasnt sad that long. Since I programmed it though it is doin a lot better. If I do have a big problems on my hands I was thinking instead of rebuilding it buying a performance auto trans. Does anyone know if there is a company that makes on for our trucks? Its an automatic. I would like one thats supposed to last a long time too.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Hoss98
Professional

Also how costly and hard is it to convert to manual and is it worth it?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:42 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

For a leak...............Not worth it.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Hoss98
Professional

No I mean if its more serious like the pump or something that will cause me to have to rebuild it again. If I do have to do that I want at least to spend the money and get a performance auto but I was looking underneath my truck and the only real problem (besides cost) with converting it to manual is the clutch pedal and mechanism. I like manuals way better and I would not have these kinds of problems if it where a manual.

Quick Reply: Auto trans leaking... again