2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:03 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jason,

Your coolant temp sensor will be on the left side of the intake manifold in the water jacket. It'll basically be directly behind and under the alternator, The wiring harness on the passenger side that contains the IAT plug and the alternator gauge plug will have the coolant temp sensor plug as well.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:13 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey dakota could you pm some pics of your engine. I'm painting some of my stuff ford blue wanna get an idea how its gonna look

Old 05-01-2009, 02:56 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do you check the ect anyway?....my gauges say im runnin hot....

Old 05-01-2009, 05:28 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, the gauge uses a separate sending unit from the ECT sensor, so you may want to test both.

The ECT tests the same as the IAT, using a multimeter testing for ohms and then voltage (or vice versa). Same ohms/volts values for the same temperatures as the IAT.

EDIT: Oh, and thanks again squirrels for more info.

Last edited by jasonw; 05-01-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:18 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

could you elaborate on the ect values?......also how do i check the 1wire unit?.....just ground one of the multimeter leads?....thanks

Old 05-05-2009, 12:52 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

bump....

Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dakotas ram
could you elaborate on the ect values?......also how do i check the 1wire unit?.....just ground one of the multimeter leads?....thanks
The ECT and IAT values should be the same before engine operation.

If they aren't, one (and on very rare occasions, both) of the sensors are faulty. The one wire unit is, I believe, the sending unit for the gauge in the instrument cluster. If that gauge is working, I wouldn't worry about testing that unit.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:28 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

k, was just wondering if the unit could be making my guage read high.....sorry to hijack

Old 05-05-2009, 03:50 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

No worries man.

My IAT read about 2.2k ohms when my truck was warmed up, with the ambient temperature being approximately 60 degrees.

With the truck off for 4+ hours (completely "cold"), with ambient temperature being about 50 degrees, I believe the sensor read 12.2k or there-abouts.

Comparing those readings to charts I've seen online, that appears to be normal. Regardless, I replaced the sensor, and it did not solve the problem.

Hope those numbers help.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:58 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey just an update,

I bought those EV6 fuel injector clips from Ballenger Motorsports and they finally arrived a month later. Apparently they were waiting on the ratcheting crimp tool that Tony Ballenger recommended to me. I installed them yesterday and they work great. I elected to go with the pre-made pigtails and crimped them together with adhesive backed, heat shrink butt end connectors onto the old injector wires. The clips worked great I also ordered the little green locks to lock the injector harnesses onto the injectors. It's a great fit, better than the stock clips and easy to replace any of the parts that break. Highly recommended if you have broken any clips and are getting random misfire or injector codes you can't seem to solve.

One little tip about Ballenger's website: All the crimps and butt end connectors and tools they purchase from Harbor Freight, so avoid the middleman if you have one locally. I could have avoided the month long wait had I known they got the ratcheting crimp tool from HF and driven myself the 4 miles to go get it. The little box of adhesive butt end connectors had the HF warranty card in them, I needed to go buy more and saw the exact same crimp tool hanging there at Harbor Freight.

Quick Reply: Fuel Injectors