2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough idle 3 min after start-up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:23 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thansk i will try that out

Old 09-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Detour
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy rough idle 3 min after start up

I also have the same problem after the first 3 min. I have tried every thing here and a little more. I have replaced the IAC two times thinking the first one was bad. I still feel that it still has something to with IAC . Does any body no any thing about the Power train ? I have a sticker under my hood saying that the power train controller was replaced by dodge. After doing some reading I under stand that this tells the IAC what to do and if replaced needs to be reprogramed to the vehicle vin. number.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 AM
DJK265
Amateur

Originally Posted by Detour
I also have the same problem after the first 3 min. I have tried every thing here and a little more. I have replaced the IAC two times thinking the first one was bad. I still feel that it still has something to with IAC . Does any body no any thing about the Power train ? I have a sticker under my hood saying that the power train controller was replaced by dodge. After doing some reading I under stand that this tells the IAC what to do and if replaced needs to be reprogramed to the vehicle vin. number.
I'm still having this problem, it was better after cleaning the IAC but still runs rough after a few minutes. I'm at a loss at this point but I will continue to research this and maybe sometime, somewhere, somebody will have an answer for this. If I find the problem, I'll post it here.

Good luck.
Dan

Old 09-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Kody

Ive got just about the same problem. Except it doesn't really go away. i have a 5.9 V8. when you start it you have to feather the throttle. and don't even think about going anywhere cause it will stall. I normally throw the auto tranny in 1st then when i get on the road i put it in 2nd. sometimes it will idle rough and not stall but alot of the time it will just stall out. also it backfires ALOT. And it is very very loud. i have a gutted cat and a thrush glasspack. my brother says it shoots a 10" flame out of the back of the glasspack when it backfires....

Any ideas guys? I think mine is gettint too much fuel because the idle is really raspy. alsmot like a muscle car. also it seems to have a hell of alot more power right now. it will break traction up hill in 2nd gear with damp roads...

Thanks,

Kody

Old 09-29-2009, 08:27 PM
cnctony
Default It may be time to take to dealer.

Your dodge dealer has all of the diagnostic equipment to diagnose your problem. Usually for around 80.00 they can tell you whats wrong with it. You can easily waste 80.00 trying different parts.

Before you take your rig, I would make sure you have good wires, plugs, cap, rotor, or coil pack. Clean throttle body and IAC valve. Also change the air filter if its old. This is called a tune up and depending on your environment you may need to replace some parts sooner than you think.

I also measure the resistance of my "new" spark plug wires and plugs. I have found bad wires out of the box. I have also broke the insulation on new plugs i've installed.

Very important when you clean the IAC make sure the port it connects to is clean also. I just fixed mine this weekend by cleaning out the throttle body where the IAC connects.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Twisted Metal
Captain

Change the pre cat O2 sensor. During initial start up the engine in is " open loop" mode. Once operating temp is reached, it goes closed loop.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:24 PM
tboss
Rookie

Try disconecting the battery and leave it off for abt an hour I did this and it made a differance and my idol speed came down to normal,I knoe your trouble is not idol speed but it wont hurt to try it anyway,,,

Old 10-01-2009, 03:35 AM
DJK265
Amateur

Originally Posted by Twisted Metal
Change the pre cat O2 sensor. During initial start up the engine in is " open loop" mode. Once operating temp is reached, it goes closed loop.
This problem is still persistent even after the engine has reached normal operating temp. If my truck sits for 5 minutes when hot it will have the same problem, it just doesn't last as long.

Dan

Old 10-02-2009, 08:07 PM
cnctony
Default Are you stupid? Or what?

"Try disconecting the battery and leave it off for abt an hour I did this and it made a differance and my idol speed came down to normal,I knoe your trouble is not idol speed but it wont hurt to try it anyway."

All this does is reset your settings and then it has to relearn all the sensors and make the settings. Your problem may go away but it will come right back.

Replace the air filter, clean the IAC and throttle body, and the IAC ports. Use carb cleaner. check all vacuume hoses. Check and replace spark plugs and wires. If you want to do some real engine testing then check the vacuume with a $8.00 gauge from your local auto parts store. If you want to go that far then remove all plugs and fuel pump relay then check compression via your service manual. I have had this problem, with a burnt exhaust valve. The compression and vacuume, test will tell you the status of your engine.

Do some testing and you will have more info to make a proper diagnoses.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:04 PM
tboss
Rookie

Well cnctony to answer the question you prefixed your reply with ( are you stupid or what) is yes Im stupid but like every one else here on this forum I was merely offering a suggestion to the question the OP asked ,,I dont know everything there is to know abt every problem asked here but I just like to try to help another ram owner,,so If my answers offend you then might I suggest maby the next time you see my user name on here just skip my postings ,,,for I will post agn and to the best of my ability I will try to help some one agn even you if you have a problem,,,and by the way my ram is still running great,

Quick Reply: Rough idle 3 min after start-up.