2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

accumulator spring(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:56 AM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default accumulator spring(s)

The service manual shows an inner and outer spring on the accumulator piston and the fabulous DIY sonnax kit thread from aim4 says there are springs (plural).
So, I start freakin out when I go to reinstall the valve body and accumulator and I only have the outer/lower spring. I looked in the catch pan and all over the garage. No inner/upper spring.
After calling about 10 trans shops to buy the inner spring, I'm fortunate to talk to a guy that says I don't need it. He said he's seen some 46re with it and some without. He had one in stock if I wanted to install it but he was convincing enough that I decided not to install it.
Anyway, hopefully this info will spare someone the grief I went thru.
Peace.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:47 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I was going to pull the valve body, I went to a local shop and bought the inner spring for $3. I installed the spring and really don't feel any difference in the way the trans shifts. I've only driven with it once so maybe I'll feel something different after I drive it more.

Quick Reply: accumulator spring(s)