2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible axle seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I spoke to my neighbor today who is a mechanic and he said we will do it, and I said alright as long as ur there lol. He knows his ****. While we're in there we're gonna check other things too (u-joints, bushings, bearings, etc) on both sides. So it may be a big job in the end, considering I have 165k miles but that truck makes me smile and its all normal wear for the miles. Ill take pics and show u guys what we found. I dont believe there is a DIY for the axle seal on DF so ill deff try to take pics and write up a DIY. Will post when its done. Should be in the next week.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
And as far as DV's comment goes, about why the seals are not on the outer part of the axle. That's because you would be replacing them every 2 weeks , the vibration/movement of the axle is greater the farther out you go from center. It's a bad design period. That's pretty much why we have IFS now.
the seals on the rear axle are at the outer end of the tube.
also the seals on a dana 60 front are at the outer end (i think).

so why does a dana 44 have to put them on the inside ? seems stupid to me.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:17 AM
vw62rag

any news on this? i jus started this project today, got the axle all dissembled, thought it was going to be a easy job till i found out the passenger seals deep in the dam axle, im kinda stuck now. theres a thing on the back side of the axle on the passenger side with wires going to it.....im not even sure what it is or how to remove it...if i have to....any help would be great

Old 05-13-2009, 02:09 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

make sure when you put the axle back through the new seal to be really careful not to tear it with the splined end or to unseat it. that may be why rammans keep leaking, operator error.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:46 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vw62rag
theres a thing on the back side of the axle on the passenger side with wires going to it.....im not even sure what it is or how to remove it...if i have to....any help would be great
its the CAD (central axle disconnect). the wires are for the 4wd indicator light on the dash, and the vac hoses come from the t-case indicating driver's selection of 2wd vs 4wd.

be aware of the bushing inside the cad, not sure if its on inner or outer. might be a bearing in there, i'm not sure.

this will explain it.
http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/repair/..._engagment.htm

Old 05-14-2009, 10:54 PM
vw62rag

i cant even describe how frustrated i am, i been ****ing with this axle all dam day ! jus trying to get the seals in. its impossible ! i got the drivers side one in ok but the passenger one is unreal. i removed the CAD housing to get to it. i bought a few washers and some allthread and a dent puller and i thought i had this in the bag even had a friend helping, boy was i wrong, i mangled the seal to hell. pleeeeease help me, how do i get this POS seal in here properly?

Last edited by vw62rag; 05-14-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-14-2009, 11:01 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

i need to have my passenger side replaced, its leaking, but im prolly gonna take it to the only shop i trust, im gonna buy the seal my self, and take the truck and seal in, ill prolly be able to have it back within 1 or 2 days

Old 05-15-2009, 04:37 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You need a special tool to install the passenger side seal.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:35 PM
vw62rag

well i finally finished the front axle on my truck, OMFG what a beeyach it was, i work on a lot of cars and this was a absolute headache. i spent over 150 bucks on "special tools" and crap, all i did was replace the hubs/wheel bearings, seals and U joints. i dout ill ever attempt this again , now i jus hope the seals dont leak...... good luck to anyone else that wants to do this.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah it's a lot of fun ain't it? LOL My driver side seal just started leaking a couple days ago, again. I have all the tools and could do it blind folded at this point.

Quick Reply: Possible axle seal leak