2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blow it or Stroke it... Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:47 AM
ron333
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From all the numbers I've run in desk top dyno, a 408 can give you right around 100 ftlb more torque than stock. So what this means is if you kept the stroker motor at the same compression ratio as stock and used the stock cam, heads and other stock components you will get an extra 100 ftlb of torque over stock. Now by chaning out the cam and head and doing all the other performance stuff your going to see more power. You can check my 408 build at https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-...-has-come.html
I have been, and will continue to be following your thread. I'm anxious to see how it all turns out, and of course "hear" it as well!

Yeah the 426 would be fun for a hot rod but since this is a daily driver it does have to be reliable. I was playing with the numbers on desk top dyno and it's looking like 394HP @ 4500rpm and 544TQ @ 2000rpm. But the real test will be when its all done and on the rollers!
It looks like you are going for the same concept as I am for what your expecting from your build. Your power will be made within the same range that I want mine to be made in. I look forward to your next update in that thread!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 AM
busaguy05
Professional

LOL yeah it's been a while, just got payed today so I'll have to see what I got left over after I pay a few bills, then I'll toss some more parts at it lol.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:18 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like a little of both. If they stroke between blows it drives me nuts.

And max you will need a blow off valve. Otherwise it will just keep building boost and blow up your engine. I think at least

Old 05-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure ANY kind of forced induction is going to require a blow off valve.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:51 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MUST run a blow off with boost!
Running boost you have sealed pipework between the blower/turbo and the tb.
After taking the rpms up and building boost when you let off the throttle and close the butterflies without a blow off or pressure relief you can/will bend the shafts of the butterflies due to still having boost trapped in the pipework. When you give it gas again the bent shaft will cause the throttle to stick in the open position when you let off the next time.
Not exactly a good thing

If you need to rebuild the motor, may as well stroke it and go for lower compression incase you want to add boost later as others have mentionded. Be smart to add trans rebuild/upgrade to your budget as well as dyno tuning. Hp is very addictive. Most ended up going to higher hp than originally intended and have to change plans as they progress. Requiring more & more parts needing to be replaced.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:23 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RM_Indy
Hp is very addictive. Most ended up going to higher hp than originally intended and have to change plans as they progress. Requiring more & more parts needing to be replaced.
Quoted For Truth

Old 05-02-2009, 02:40 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RM_Indy
Hp is very addictive
Pshh, i can quit any time i want man. I dont have a problem, i just dont wanna quit....yeah, yeah thats it !

Old 05-02-2009, 12:16 PM
TurboABA
Professional

Blow it. No NA build will give you the same results.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboABA
Blow it. No NA build will give you the same results.

Depends on what you want and where you want it. Peak torque at 4000 RPMs doesn't do you much good if you're trying to pull stumps.

Quick Reply: Blow it or Stroke it... Which is better?