2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thinking about removing CAT

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:38 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Horse
when you guys say gutted cat, what do yall mean by that?

do you know what a catalytic converter is?....if not its a thing on your exhaust about the size of a muffler filled with ceramic.....most of the times the ceramic breaks inside and you lose power and can hear it rattle......you can either take the whole thing off and cut it open or just cut the pipe behind it and bust all of that junk out of it giving you unrestricted flow.....with your truck being an 01, you will most likely get a check engine light, but nothing a little trick wont fix......and if you get emission inspections you wont pass

Old 04-30-2009, 03:40 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and if you get emission inspections you wont pass
unless you know the right people

Old 04-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Steel Horse
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah thats what that dam fkin noise is down there!!

Old 04-30-2009, 03:55 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could be a number of things...exhaust clamps, connections, cat, muffler, something hitting something else. i know, i hate it too lol

Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

what causes the cat to rattle. I took and cut my exhaust off about 1.5 feet from the cat then took a small pipe and smashed as much of the honeycomb crap out and reved her up to blow it out

Did this twice, But it still rattles and is starting to bother me.

I pulled into the McDonalds drive thru and as i was waiting in line it sounded like someone was rapidly shaking a spraypaint can.

I put a turndown pipe on right where i cut it cuz it sounded Great with no rattle for awhile. But now when i put my foot down it kinda whistles kinda or a wind type sound, and it kinda bothers me.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:59 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You obviously didn't get it all out, or something else is rattling.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nathangfnd
sounded like someone was rapidly shaking a spraypaint can.

yep, thats the sound of a little bit left in there......either you can live with it for a while til it breaks up or have another go at it.......

Old 05-02-2009, 06:20 PM
nathangfnd
Captain

well i took off the down pipe i put on there and i found out there was a piece that hadnt come out and it was to big to full come out the pipe. thats why it was making the whistle sound.

But now all is better. i have driven it like 50 or so miles and it hasnt had any problems

Old 05-02-2009, 06:54 PM
95RamIT
Rookie

i have a 95 5.9 std cab with not cat and a flowmaster single in/dual out and it sounds pretty mean. I used to have 10' tips (gave it a real nice low pur) but the hangers were welded to the hitch reciever and had to remove and cut them off to take the receiver off (for the crappy ABS roll pan i took off). I live in Fla so not that strict on emissions- only issue i have had is i got pulled over once (stupid headlights went out while i was driving) and i didnt think about my pipes(noise ordinance). Had a fix or pay ticket, i opted out on fixing . If i were to get pulled over ill just shut the truck off real quick so he wont notice right off the bat.

Quick Reply: Thinking about removing CAT