2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cat removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat removal

I want to take my cat off of my truck because I don't need it and Ive heard they get clogged. Do I just cut it out and put a piece of pipe in place of it? Does it have to be welded? The truck is a 96 2500 v10. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just putting a piece of pipe will be fine. You may have to replace the rear 02 sensor with a sim. I mean you don't have to but it might cause a check engine light that won't go off until you change it.

Clamps will be fine.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:33 AM
PartsChaser
Professional

Another possible route is to take it out, beat the catalyst guts out of it, then replace it back so it retains that stock look. It will be a little "boomy" since you have a big resonating chamber under your cab now.

Disadvantages (as Cereal Killer mentioned) is that post CAT 02 sensor throwing a code. I have a 5.9 and did the same thing, and my Check Engine Light comes on intermittently, then sometimes cleans itself up enough to go away. If you can live with that, go for it.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

Yeah I'm not worried about the check engine light because it has always been on... and I'm not really sure why..... I like the idea of taking it off and beating the guts out but is that as good as just putting a pipe in place of it? I have no idea about how to weld and I don't have a welder.... Do I just get a hack saw and cut it out and then put some of that fiberglass cloth stuff around the seams and put pipe clamps on? I'm not worried about looks, just function. And how do I beat the guts out? I don't know what the inside of those things look like so I guess it will be obvious when I get it off. Thanks for the replies... Also, when I was under the truck looking at the cat I noticed that the left mount for the transmission is gone. The right one is a bar coming of the transmission towards the back and is connected in a little rubber mount and the bar connects to the exhaust. The left one is the same but there isn't a bar in the mount and I can see where the weld was broken off the frame. Will this make a difference? I felt it with my hands and it doesn't feel loose but I guess the engine could move it which might explain some super rough shifts I get... I can just imagine the transmission lifting up everytime I shift.....

Old 05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A pipe would be better, just because when you "gut" a converter, you're creating a bottle neck in the exhaust system. as for connecting it with clamps just get yourself a peice of pipe thats either flared on both end, or put collars on any non-flared ends. Simple.

As for the transmisson mount... I'd replace it.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

Just looked at it again... There are 2 pipes going into the cat and an o2 sensor on the cat. I looked at the 2 pipes coming in and they have places were I can unblot them at the headers. The pipe coming out of the cat is 3" and there isn't a place to unbolt it so I will just cut it. Do I just leave the o2 sensor in the gutted cat?

Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

Ok... saw your post after I posted.... I am going to do pipe. I should cut the 2 pipes which are 2" or 1 1/2" going into the cat and cut the 3" pipe coming out. The I will need a y pipe to connect the 2 pipes that were going in and a 2" to 3" converter unless the y pipe is 2 2" to one 3"..... What do I do with the o2 sensor that was in the cat?

Last edited by Gotta feed them horses; 05-01-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Lowridetractor

i am going to start the same project. i got the y pipe in this post. and the rest should help you out.https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...w-exhaust.html

Old 05-01-2009, 03:20 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put the o2 sensor in the middle of my y......dats my thread^....i didnt have the rear o2 to worry about, but i hear you can just leave it plugged and ziptie it under your truck to read clean air

Old 05-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

I think I will just leave the o2 hanging. I couldn't find a y pipe at my local auto parts stores so I have to order it online. I went to all of the major stores and they all had the exact same stock......

Quick Reply: Cat removal