2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Opinions on the Auburn Pro Series Locker

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 PM
nolazach
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on the Auburn Pro Series Locker

I have found a few online in the $400 mark. I was going to put in the stock LSD (my truck has the open carrier now )
The best price I can get on the Stock one is $269 shipped, the best on the Auburn $420 shipped.

Ebay auction

ebay item stock 9.25 LSD)
I have a 3.55, but was thinking of throwing a 4.10 in, but I may not*, I may just go 3.92 as too many people are telling me the 4.10 will put my rpms at 4000 at cruise speed. While I think this is crazy, I do know it will go up. Then I am not sure I can change the pinion gear, did find a shop that said they would switch it out for $100 if I brought them the dissembled rear.

I can get the stock carrier for $135, as mine looks like freddy Krueger and Wolverine had a fight over it.

I tried seeing if anyone here had a 4.10 in a 2wd 5.2, I didn't get much response.

So I have my rear end stripped down, got new backing plates and brakes comming in, new cover, and all I have to do is figure out how to stuff it.

Personally I think the 4.10 with the Auburn would give me the most overall power and traction. Its just the price.
I'm in the middle of re-building my first tranny right now (46re) and I need to focus there, and on this new oil leak in the FMseal.

*possible never used MOPAR 4.10 gear set for sale*
9if I don't use them

this all started when a tow truck driver decided to drag my vehicle around. A few hours later the tire came off and destroyed my rear backing plate. I have driven the truck with three brakes for years, due to how hard it is to get the backing plate, and the pinion nut breaking off in the spider gear pinion.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
nolazach
Veteran
Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM
nolazach
Veteran

This is where in frustration I decided to destroy the carrier to get the pinion out.

I just could not get at an angle to pull this thing out. I knew it was going to be a problem, when it broke off the first time I tried to remove it.

I notice on the other side there is a space where I could get a shop to drill press a hole, and then thread it, making my carrier usable again. I just fear I may have weakened it with my frustrated hacking.

This is my $40 tranny jack, on my $40 Jack, I am kind nervous about putting my life in the hands of cheap HF parts, but oh well.

lastly here is the lone 3.55 pinion. She is held in by over 250ft-lbs and its hard to get out, and then it needs bearings pressed off. I did find a guy who told me $100 to put the 4.10 pinion in its place, and that price includes labor only, I still have to get crush sleeves and etc.

I know in my Mustang putting the big gear in (3.83) MADE a huge difference. As long as my truck can still cruise at 60 mph, then I am fine.

I have been reading up a lot on Pavement sucks, they have a lot of info in this area.

Last edited by nolazach; 05-01-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:15 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

1st...the Auburn is NOT a locker... it is a limited slip differential and while a bit tougher than the factory LSD, still works the same way. If you want a locker you'll have to buy a Detroit or posi trax. BTW don't confuse posi trax with posi traction.
Any 4:10 gear for a 9.25 rear end will fit. 4x4 or 2wd doesn't matter.
I don't know where you got the 4000 rpm mark for cruising speed, but at the national speed limit you should be closer to 2800 rpm in od depending on tire diameter. Try using the forum search for gear/rpm chart.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:22 PM
nolazach
Veteran

yeah I meant to use LSD, I don't know why I put locker, a locker has 100% of power going to both wheel.

I want a LSD, I got stuck with one wheel spinning and the other on solid ground while docking my boat, and after getting pulled out, I realized I wanted a LSD rear.

The bigger gear, is because the truck feels weak off the line.

So I was thinking either the 4.10 with the Auburn or stock LSD.

Just wanted to know if anyone here is using the Auburn pro-series LSD, and what was their opinion over the stock piece.

Quick Reply: Opinions on the Auburn Pro Series Locker