2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OMG.. The saga continues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 02:08 PM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey!!! Sorry.. I got your messages, but didnt want to jump the gun and post anything.. I now HAVE MY TRUCK! and am driving it.. I just got it back for this weekend.. Now, the good news, It shifts great!!! The bad news, I think the mechanic doesn't know enough about cars to be a mechanic.. It does some weird stuff..
Number one, the oil pressure will bottom out occassionally, could just be the sending unit goin bad.. but, I digress... It also makes a rattling noise in the motor still, I am not sure, I think it could be the timing chain is loose, or could be maybe a valve rattle.. hard to tell really... I am not enough of a mechainc to tell either... But it's running, and driving... so I couldn't be happier on that note... Thanks for thinking about me guys!! And now, where we meeting for lunch? hehehehe Your buyin right?

Old 05-31-2009, 02:15 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Good to know you are ok. Now just drive it till it breaks, then you'll know what to fix! LOL Of course at this point, my recommendation would be to lose the one armed bandit. Sounds like all he is doing is putting bandaides on it.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 PM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran

yeah.. that was why I got it.. He kept tellin me he was gunna check this and that, and then never got around to doin it.. blah blah.. his son is sick, so I tried to be nice and patient but 5 friggin months is a long time to be patient.. So, I finally just called it even.. took my truck, and let it go at that.. now, that being said, I gave him $1700 for getting my tranny rebuilt, and installing it and a used motor. and all the cleaning, blah blah that he supposedly did. I did give him an extra $100 for the extra labor of installing the motor.. Since he didnt charge me more for it. But, that being said, $1800 then total isn't too bad.. but I wish I would taken it a long time ago.. But he will no longer be doing any work for me... Nice guy, but not reliable enough

Old 05-31-2009, 03:17 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hey its good to hear from you, but i was hoping for better news.

so what do you mean by rattling noise. are we talking spark knock/pinging, like when its under load, or are we talking some kind of bad metal on metal banging, clanging, or knocking.

so is this the first time you've actually drove the truck since you bought it ?

Old 05-31-2009, 03:22 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that's not right at all. I know the felling though. I'm still waiting on my short block. Last I talked to the guy he said call him the end of next week. I personally would be pissed to spend that and have issues. Did he just drop the used motor in or did he rebuild it first?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:09 AM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran

he just dropped it in.... It kinda sounds like a loose timing chain... it is smoking, so it may need rings I hope I can get buy with some conditioner... depends on how and what he did to clean the motor... he did run kerosene through it, so if he let it get to hot, it could have warped the rings... and he didn't fix the exhaust like he said he would..

Old 06-01-2009, 07:52 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And that's why I will never buy a jy engine. Sometimes it works out and you get a good one. Other times you can get a pos that's just as bad as the one you already have. I've had this argument with people on stangnet. I'm like I don't need 2 bad engines 1 is enough

Old 06-01-2009, 05:02 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If your lucky it's the valve stem seals, dried out from sitting around. Don't put anything in it except for maybe some high mileage motor oil, and try that for a little while. Which you should probably change anyway soon, since he flushed it.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

damn, another 2 weeks passed. this is one of the saddest stories i've ever heard.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to hear about you luck this is a sad story

Quick Reply: OMG.. The saga continues