2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steam cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009 | 04:43 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

if you want to clean up the alternator you can get a good stiff bristled plastic brush and use some water to get it clean, it ought to work.

Old 05-06-2009 | 09:08 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I'd like to chime in on this one if that's ok. I've been power washing my engine since i've owned the truck, ever time I go to the carwash, and sometimes in between just for fun. Same goes for every other car i've ever owned before it. Not once, not even a single time, on any vehicle I have ever owned, have I had a problem resulting from power washing my engine. As long as you take a few simple precautions:
-I do not spray the PCM directly
-I do not get the air filter wet
-I do not spray the distributor directly
-I do not spray the alternator directly
-I use light water pressure around any sensor or location that I think might allow water to get in (dip stick tubes for example) or get damaged by the high pressure.

That's it. In my opinion from having done it for years and years on many many vehicles, there is very little risk of anything bad happening from power washing your engine using the precautions I listed above. I'll continue to do it with no worrys in my mind. I think my engine speaks for itself as far as how well this works too.

Old 05-07-2009 | 02:31 AM
julianvdmeer
Rookie

Do not use a steam cleaner under youre hood, you can mess up youre electric system, if seen a lot of people who messed up the pcm with cleaning under the hood.
I run a car cleaning center here in the netherlands and i always use ordinarry WD40 to clean the engine room.
But if you really wanne use water under the hood, just let the engine run and after the cleaning drive a few miles.

Old 05-07-2009 | 03:24 AM
Miami_Son
Banned

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
I've been power washing my engine since i've owned the truck... Not once, not even a single time, on any vehicle I have ever owned, have I had a problem resulting from power washing my engine.
Ditto. I use an electric PW. The gas-engined ones are too powerful.

Old 05-07-2009 | 08:59 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by julianvdmeer
Do not use a steam cleaner under youre hood, you can mess up youre electric system, if seen a lot of people who messed up the pcm with cleaning under the hood.
I run a car cleaning center here in the netherlands and i always use ordinarry WD40 to clean the engine room.
But if you really wanne use water under the hood, just let the engine run and after the cleaning drive a few miles.
Wow, what a bad idea. WD40 is flammable. That's the last thing you want to use under the hood for cleaning purposes. The only chemical I use under the hood is Simple Green and a non-flammable tire shine product. Even when I need to use a degreasers from time to time, I make sure it is the non-flammable variety.

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 05-07-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2009 | 10:06 AM
mopar1973man
Veteran

Water is bad...

Wow! & years of breaking out a 1-1/2" fire hose from a fire truck and power washing both my 2002 Dodge Cummins and my 1996 Dodge Ram V8 and I hose either thing down at 150-200 PSI. Under the body, the engine, alternator, etc... I mean everything gets hosed... Just for fun I break out with a video camera and shoot some footage...

20 years later I never have a electrical problem on any of my vehicles I ever owned...

Old 05-07-2009 | 10:23 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Ha, good post. Like I said, there is really no risk from spraying your engine with water, and i'll continue to clean my engine that way.

If people could see some of the water abuse i've seen from trucks that are mudding and going through deep water. Spraying your engine at the car wash is really no big deal compared to that.

Old 05-07-2009 | 01:39 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Wouldn't worry about water. I've also power washed the engine bay of every vehicle I've ever owned, and never had a problem.

On several occasions I've driven through 3+ feet of standing water, and the only damage from that was a shorted out radio.

I'm pretty sure water is safe...

Old 05-11-2009 | 10:34 AM
xecutech

I washed my engine this weekend and this morning I had to leave it at the shop with the check engine light on. Hardly no power and it shakes really bad when she's running. I am waiting on a phone call from the mechaninc to tell me what I messed up.

Old 05-11-2009 | 12:53 PM
xecutech

Update: #2 fuel injector and #2 spark plug needs to be replaced!

I will never rinse off an engine ever again.

Quick Reply: steam cleaning