2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 AM
mkozlows
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Opinions

I recently sold my 2001 Diesel Dually because I wanted to downsize a bit. I mistakenly thought that locating a clean, RUST free 2500 gas job would be realitively easy... Wrong!
Up here in Vermont rust seems to start to set in as the vehicles are being backed off the Transporter in the dealers lot.
Anyway, to make a long story short, I located a 1999 one owner 2500 extended cab with a 2 year old plow that is immaculate. Body is about as good as a 10 year old truck can be expected to be. Runs great, seems to handle well, and apparently the fellow who owns it was meticulus in performing maintenace on the truck.
The only issue I have is the truck has 165000 miles on it. I am concerned that the truck will start falling apart in the next 10 to 20 thousand miles..
My question is are my concern`s justified. Thanks for everyones help.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran

Well, Ill give you the story about my current ram in case u werent around to hear it 18 months ago. I used to have a beautiful blue ram. Had to sell it and get a car to commute to college with (for gas). I had nothing but problems with the car and wished I had kept the truck, which never gave me any poblems. I sucked it up and got another truck when I had saved up. My uncle had just got a 2008 Ram 2500 and he sold me his '97 Ram 1500 (my current truck). It had 159,000 miles on it when he sold it to me and he was the original owner. In 18 months I have put $200 into it as far as fixes, and Im about to do the front axle seal. All normal stuff cant get mad at that. He also took meticulous care of it. So my opinion? If it looks and drives as good as u say, Id say its a good deal. These truck are known to hold up well past 200k miles, some even say closer to 300k. What has been done to it already? And how much does he want?

Old 05-06-2009, 09:34 AM
mkozlows

Originally Posted by Magnumpwr16
Well, Ill give you the story about my current ram in case u werent around to hear it 18 months ago. I used to have a beautiful blue ram. Had to sell it and get a car to commute to college with (for gas). I had nothing but problems with the car and wished I had kept the truck, which never gave me any poblems. I sucked it up and got another truck when I had saved up. My uncle had just got a 2008 Ram 2500 and he sold me his '97 Ram 1500 (my current truck). It had 159,000 miles on it when he sold it to me and he was the original owner. In 18 months I have put $200 into it as far as fixes, and Im about to do the front axle seal. All normal stuff cant get mad at that. He also took meticulous care of it. So my opinion? If it looks and drives as good as u say, Id say its a good deal. These truck are known to hold up well past 200k miles, some even say closer to 300k. What has been done to it already? And how much does he want?
Trans was done at around 125000, Front end, around the same time, other than that, just normal maintenance, the gentleman claims the truck has been dead realiable. I believe I can get the truck for around $5000
That includes the Plow which was $3500 + installation.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if the plow is as good as you say, then you can sell the plow and get the truck for 2000, then save the 3000 you get for the plow until you need maintenance done on the truck. then you don't have to worry about the fact that some of the common wear items will have to be replaced because you'll be sitting on 3000 of repair money. so there, i solved all your problems. aside from the fact that you got rid of the cummins.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:20 AM
mkozlows

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
if the plow is as good as you say, then you can sell the plow and get the truck for 2000, then save the 3000 you get for the plow until you need maintenance done on the truck. then you don't have to worry about the fact that some of the common wear items will have to be replaced because you'll be sitting on 3000 of repair money. so there, i solved all your problems. aside from the fact that you got rid of the cummins.
Thanks....I Think
And yes, selling the Cummins was one of my biggest mistake`s.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

i knew a guy that had a cummins with 700000 miles on it with no major engine repairs. it was his work truck so he put plenty of miles on it himself, he sold that thing for a newer ram and ran into the guy that bought his old one about a year later and the guy was still driving it without any problems aside from the rear leafs being worn out from the utility boxes and tools that used to be in the bed all the time.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 AM
mkozlows

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
i knew a guy that had a cummins with 700000 miles on it with no major engine repairs. it was his work truck so he put plenty of miles on it himself, he sold that thing for a newer ram and ran into the guy that bought his old one about a year later and the guy was still driving it without any problems aside from the rear leafs being worn out from the utility boxes and tools that used to be in the bed all the time.
The truck I sold only had 92000 miles, was loaded and had a six speed trans.. I`m making myself sick just thinking about this.

I was going to make an offer on the 1999, however, I just talked to another fellow with the same basic truck with 40000 less miles on it, No plow, but the transmission has never been touched, he is asking 4 grand, might be worth a look first.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

125000 miles is pretty much toward the max lifespan of the 46re trans (mine lasted 124000) and if its never been touched then it will definately touch your wallet soon after getting it. you ought to see if the guy with the plow ram will give it to you for 4000$ because then you'll have a 1k truck with 3k in your new savings account accumulating interest until you need it for the truck. look up the blue book value on the 165000 mile truck and bring that with you when you make your 4000$ offer.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:24 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mkozlows
The truck I sold only had 92000 miles, was loaded and had a six speed trans.. I`m making myself sick just thinking about this.

I was going to make an offer on the 1999, however, I just talked to another fellow with the same basic truck with 40000 less miles on it, No plow, but the transmission has never been touched, he is asking 4 grand, might be worth a look first.
sorry about the diesel.

i'd rather have the one with 160k and a rebuilt trans and front end than the one with 120k that needs a trans and front end. the trans is $1500-2000 and if the front the front end included trac-bar, ball joints, bearings, seals, and u-joints that well over $1000-1500. plus you get the plow, which would be pretty handy to have in VT

Old 05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the one with the re-built trans. Change the fluid and filter every 25,000 miles. That is most of the battle with these trucks.

Quick Reply: Looking for Opinions