2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear leaf spring shackles.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Rear leaf spring shackles.

Long story short as I can,LOL On my way home from work, I heard a loud bang and metal crunching sound. Kept driving and all seemed ok,(thought I ran something over I didn't see) except the truck didn't seem right when I hit bumps. Anyway, got home looked underneath and my right rear shackle broke in half. And the spring slammed up against the bottom of the bed.

First , any guys with lifts or whatever have any extra shackles laying around?

Second, will the nuts come off the bolts without holding the head of the bolt? We are talking major rust here.

And 3rd, does anyone, ie autozone or wherever sell replacement shackles that work for stock replacement?

TIA, Z

Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with your amount of salt and rust, i doubt the nuts will come off under any circumstances. you'll likely have to cut them off.

i don't think you'll find them at any discount store, since its not a normally used maintenance part. have you checked dealer pricing yet. being that its just a piece of steel, it might not be too badly over-priced.

good idea on picking up a pair from somebody with a lift. you may need to try some other forums too, such as pavement.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:17 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Thanks, DV. Already went to the local spring shop, and got a new shackle, bolt and leaf spring bushing. The lower bolt came right out, amazing. The one in the leaf spring is soaking with PB, so we'll see. If I have to cut it, atleast I got a new bolt and bushing.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pb sucks. if you use crc knocker loose you don't need to let it soak longer than a minute, and thats on really bad rust. also, speaking of really rusted bolts, when i put my headers on i couldn't get a wrench or socket on one of the bolts because of the bend in the pipe so i went to sears to get a wrench that has the head at about an 80º angle where regular wrenches normally have like a 20º angle on the open end. i had to use a regular wrench for about 1/16th of a turn then the new one for a 16th and so on, till i got it tight. anyway, kind of went off course, the wrenches i got are designed for rounded and rusted bolts because it hits the flats on the bolt more toward the center rather than right on the corner like a regular wrench does, i thought it was a handy concept, so i got the set to do my headers and ended up with a good set of wrenches for rounded bolts.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:04 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Thanks for the info , as far as the PB goes, I don't like it all that much either. I have used Cyclo penetrating oil for 30+ years, and think it's the best. I just happened to have run out, and have to use up the can of PB I purchased.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

where is cyclo sold at? i've never heard of it before. from what i've seen the knocker loose is the best but if you stand by the cyclo i want to check it out.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:26 PM
foxt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same exact thing just happened to me yesterday. I had a load of heavy woodworking machines in the bed, I heard a loud bang and just assumed it was the load shifting. Got home and noticed a serious sag on the driver's side rear end. Sure enough, that rear shackle let go right in the middle. The other side is pretty rusted as well, so I may try to swap them both out.

How did you make out getting that top fitting off of the spring? Any tricks that you can pass on would be appreciated ...

Old 04-11-2010, 06:46 PM
GregBranton

I know this is old but the exact same thing has happened to be, shackle snapped in half and leaf up in the bed. Are these hard to change?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

Hey zman, could you post a pic of what your looking at. I swear I had the same exact thing happen to me last week, (not driving my ram right now, driving the cummins ), and i cant figure out whats going on. Same thing, was driving heard a loud bang and metal crunch, and now going over bumps it feels all wrong. really bouncy.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:11 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Rear leaf spring shackles.