2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I think I have the death flash, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:35 PM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Why cant you just take it to the dealer and have it re-flashed?
If what I read on here is accurate, the whole point of the 'death flash' was for Dodge to cover there *** over a poor plenum gasket design.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:55 PM
CSXfan
All Star

The thing I don't understand is, why would my truck still ping like crazy even though I have the death flash? Yes the plenum gasket was blown, (and was fixed with a hughes kit) but wouldn't the death flash fix the pinging issue? I'm still not 100% sure I have the death flash. Would I be able to call the dealer and give them the numbers on the sticker to see if it was actually a PCM flash?

Old 05-10-2009, 07:15 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pinging = lean fuel, vac leak, high heat, carbon buildup.
if you're confident your plenum is fixed, try these things (if you haven't already)
mopar combustion chamber cleaner (remove carbon)
180 t-stat (reduce temp a tad)
3923 plug (reduce temp a tad)
expensive premium gas or octane boost.

if you have a ping with stock tune, DO NOT put on a superchips, it will only get worse not better

squirrels has been fighting pinging forever.

you don't want to hear this, but if combustion chamber cleaner doesn't fix your problem, then i'd guess that your hughes plate or manifold or TB is leaking.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:43 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

+1.

Also, try some Seafoam in the gas tank. Clean those injectors up a tad.

Originally Posted by CSXfan
Would I be able to call the dealer and give them the numbers on the sticker to see if it was actually a PCM flash?
Perhaps. Many dealerships will lie to you, however, and tell you that you don't have the death flash, either because they don't know what you are talking about or they don't want to deal with any gripe you may give them over it.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:50 PM
95MaroonMonster
Record Breaker

man i gotta check the PCM on my truck, its a 95 so i doubt it, but if i have the 'Flash, im gonna get Mopar Performance PCM, i want to be able to roast the 32s

Old 05-11-2009, 12:24 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Only catch is I believe you have to use premium fuel with the Mopar Performance PCM. Sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you get the tuner then it cures the flash plus extra power on top of it ,its worth it i didnt even know i had the flash either, i bet the owner before me didnt know it was there either, so the motor is in better shape because it never ran its full .

Old 05-11-2009, 08:09 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Well sheeit, thanks fellas. Its amazing that just when you think you know so much about your own truck, you catch wind about something such as "death flash" which has been a fairly well know problem for years now, but you never even heard of such a thing. Heck, I can now remember the day I got the recall notice and took my truck to the dealer to have it done . Idiot(s).

Well, ever since I have joined this site I have really been learning about my mopar motor. Thanks for all the info guys! Now I just have to convince the wife that I need a $375 tuner to "fix" my truck.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:34 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Originally Posted by olyelr
Well sheeit, thanks fellas. Its amazing that just when you think you know so much about your own truck, you catch wind about something such as "death flash" which has been a fairly well know problem for years now, but you never even heard of such a thing. Heck, I can now remember the day I got the recall notice and took my truck to the dealer to have it done . Idiot(s).

Well, ever since I have joined this site I have really been learning about my mopar motor. Thanks for all the info guys! Now I just have to convince the wife that I need a $375 tuner to "fix" my truck.
Ditto on the initial thought...as for the latter, thankfully the woman and I keep separate checking accounts, so I had mine ordered before she got out of bed...lol

I have a question about the tuner now...I get that it's plug and play basically, you program your set up and let it go. Next question is, then what? Does it sit in your tool box until you want to tweak it again?

Just wondering what would stop me from 'lending' it out to others with the death flash if needed.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
pinging = lean fuel, vac leak, high heat, carbon buildup.
if you're confident your plenum is fixed, try these things (if you haven't already)
mopar combustion chamber cleaner (remove carbon)
180 t-stat (reduce temp a tad)
3923 plug (reduce temp a tad)
expensive premium gas or octane boost.

if you have a ping with stock tune, DO NOT put on a superchips, it will only get worse not better

squirrels has been fighting pinging forever.

you don't want to hear this, but if combustion chamber cleaner doesn't fix your problem, then i'd guess that your hughes plate or manifold or TB is leaking.
Sorry that's not what I meant when I posted that. I was trying to say that with the "death flash" why would it still ping with a bad plenum? Wasn't the whole point of the death flash to take care of pinging even though the plenum was blown? That's why I'm unsure of whether or not I have the death flash, it was still pinging even though I supposedly have the flash. Make sense? My truck doesn't ping AT ALL now that I replaced the plenum with a hughes kit, but I'm still concerned about power loss I may be getting from the flash. Sorry for the confusion.

Quick Reply: I think I have the death flash, what now?