2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

So happy with my sound system, now.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default So happy with my sound system, now.

Despite having the Infinity Premium sound in my 2500 I was not happy with the sound. I swapped the head unit out for a Sony MEX-BT3700U, but was still unhappy despite this deck being loaded with features including built-in Bluetooth, SAT/HD radio capability, front panel AUX IN and USB, and high power 4-channel amp. Took off the door panels and realized that the previous owner had installed some nice Alpine Type-S component speakers, so I knew the problem had to be elsewhere. Well, after doing some research I discovered that the previous installer had retained the Infinity amps. He had bagged them and zip-tied them inside the door. Driving those amps with a high power head unit just causes them to distort. They aren't that good to begin with. After hours of trying to figure out the wiring to the amps (the color codes didn't match the manual and they also feed the rear speakers) I finally eliminated them from the circuit. Put some Acoustimat in the hollow doors and closed them up. Set up my cell phone to work with the BT and it paired without issue and works great. Added the HD Radio module, the PAC steering wheel controls interface and a 10-disc Sony CD changer.

Today, I went motocrossing and drove about 200 miles round trip. The tunes are incredible. I can't believe the punch this system now has. I was considering a subwoofer, but it doesn't need it. And I answered/made a few phone calls right through the stereo and it worked awesome even though the mic is behind the faceplate. Callers said I sounded fine and clear. The CD slot on the deck plays WMA and MP3 files and the changer plays MP3s. I can load more music than I own on this thing and never be at a loss for tunes. Good thing, since going out to the desert to motocross every weekend means few radio stations. The HD stations sound incredible in town. They put regular FM to shame and they support ID text.

It took some work, but it was totally worth it and I got better acquainted with my new (to me) truck. I haven't had a pickup in 20 years, but I am so lovin' it again. Dodge RULES!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

glad you like it. i replaced all mine a couple of years ago, including a small amp, and it sounds terrific. the best sounding car/truck system i've ever had.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 PM
elementalnature
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you remember what color codes went where exactly? Not trying to hijack your thread, just trying to figure out what goes where.

Wanna throw a couple of Kicker KS 6x9s in the front doors and still use the factory connector.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by elementalnature
Do you remember what color codes went where exactly? Not trying to hijack your thread, just trying to figure out what goes where.

Wanna throw a couple of Kicker KS 6x9s in the front doors and still use the factory connector.
using the factory amps with those speakers defeats the purpose....you would get the same sound quality from $15 no name speakers if they are being distorted by those old beat overdriven amps (if you have an aftermarket stereo installed)
hence the whole purpose of this thread to state how much better it sounds without them.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 10-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, DH, no cigar. He wants to know the color codes going to the Infinity amps. On my truck the colors changed at the connector inside the door and none of it matched the schematics I have. I had to ring them out with a Vohmeter and do it by hand. The next time I'm inside the doors I'm going to write it down.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 PM
elementalnature
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to use the amps, just the connector. I'm planning to put my own 6x9s but splice in the connectors for a quick and easy disconnect if so needed. I just need to know what color goes where.

Quick Reply: So happy with my sound system, now.