2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pinion Seal leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:58 PM
ice01
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Pinion Seal leaking!

Hey how big a job is replacing the pinion seal on these trucks? I can see where it has been leaking onto my rear differential. Not bad at all but it is leaking out on it evidenced by the differential looking wet about 1/2 way around it.
Is there a DIY on it or should I just have it done at a local garage? If it is a big pain in the a** I probably will take it out to be done. Any help appreciated!

Last edited by ice01; 05-09-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 05-10-2009, 12:57 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Its not that big a job really. I don't know if there is a write up on it but I did mine in probably a half hour. Pull the driveshaft, unbolt the yoke, pry out the old seal and drive in the new. Pretty simple to do.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:07 PM
ice01
Banned
Cool

Hey that dont sound bad but I read in a Haynes manual that you have to make sure you keep everything balanced by marking where parts are now, count some threads remaining before starting so you can put it back exactly the same, record how much force in takes for the driveshaft to move so when you put it back together you know how much torque. Did you do all this? I am not saying it is terribly hard but if I make a little screw up then I will be imbalanced all to h###. Let me know if you followed all steps.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:41 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

The only thing I marked was where the yoke was sitting on the pinion so i could put it back exactly where it was. I don't know about counting threads I just torqued it back down with a 1/2" air gun. Haven't had any issues.

Quick Reply: Pinion Seal leaking!