2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Underdrive Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Underdrive Pulleys

Anyone tried underdrive pulleys on a Ram (5.2). What are the pros and cons.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...3&autoview=sku

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:30 PM
zeekxxx
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Underdrive Pulleys

Someone please reply Id love to know if its worth the cash.....

Old 03-13-2005, 04:39 PM
lAGA

I hope someone with Ram experence replies I would like to hear their opinion. I installed underdrive pully on my 95 Firebird LT1. It made no noticeable difference in performance or mpg`s. In fact, when I came to a stop light with a large electrical drain, i.e. lights, radio, a/c all on I had to take the car out of gear and kick up idle speed to get enough juice out of alt. And yes, I did replace pulley on alt. but it was not enough. Good Luck

Old 03-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess no one has tried them.

Old 03-15-2005, 02:30 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

they have been tried, there are pros and cons to them, this company asp racing is preferred...

I looked into having them on my truck and decided against it becuase of the alt drain (towing and added electrical for the trailer). I chatted with some users and they all said the power gain was not noticeable. That doesnt mean it's not there, the butt dyno is not sensitive enough to pick up the 10 or so hp you get from them.

It is a mod however that will be going on the M3...

Old 03-16-2005, 02:18 AM
greenmachine
All Star

I have a 99 Dodge Ram 5.2. I installed a underdrive crank pulley as my very first mod ( I install my mods one at a time just to see the pros and cons). I instantly noticed a gain in horsepower and torque. I purchased my pulley thru ASP, they do not sell the belt but will give you the part # for the one you need. This was a 5min install, easy.

As far as the alternator I have no underdrive pulley, I have low output at idle but at appx 900 rpm the alt is at full charging capacity. The guy with the alt problem either (1) had a alt that was going bad or a bad connection (2) had an aftermarket alt that was rated lower than prescribed.

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulleys