2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny and tcase questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009 | 05:22 PM
cl407
|
Default tranny and tcase questions

First, a bit about my truck. its a 01 ram 1500 bougth wreaked from a impound action. its has the 5.9L magnum, stock. it is lifted 3 inches with 33's on it. the tranny is bad, no first or reverse. i know it needs a rebuild, my question is, i know dodge trannys are bad for breaking, what can i do or have done during my rebuild to make it not happen. is it possible to switch a diffrent heavy dutytranny into it? i need a stout tranny cause im gonna build a 408 stroker with nitrous for the mud drags. also, what has to be upgraded in the t-case to handle the power. will ram 3500 axles be a bolt on or will it require fabrication?

Old 05-11-2009 | 07:41 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

www.thefast man.com builds a good one. Other than that I would do a good build and install a modified Transgo Shift Kit and modified valve body.

Old 05-12-2009 | 03:15 AM
helms
All Star

there are many places that build better transmissions, especially for your application.

As for the rearend. the options are Dana60, Dana70 and im pretty sure all Dana80s were duallys (sombody will correct me). The only differences in mounting these rearends into your 1500, are the spring perches and drivshafts. the 1500 uses a 2.5" wide spring, while the 2500 and 3500s use 3" wide springs, but it sounds like you may want to change more than that if you plan on spraying a 408 on mudders. sounds like a cool project though, keep us updated

Old 05-12-2009 | 03:18 AM
helms
All Star

the transfer case might be a little weak. all the t-cases that came in these trucks are chain driven and will be a weak point in any high performance situation. im sure there are many people who have used a stock t-case with success, but i think it would be hit and miss. if you want to be sure to make it to the end of the track every time, i would suggest something aftermarket.

Old 05-12-2009 | 04:59 AM
cl407
|

thanks for the input. im going to have to alsokeep it streetable, as my winter truck is a ranger. yeah its a peice of crap. blew the 3.0 in it the first year i had it. anyone know if the v10 tranny is stronger, and what would it take to use it on my 5.9. i got a sponsor for the mud drags, its a huge alaskan junkyard, so i got access to alot of parts i just have toknow what works

Quick Reply: tranny and tcase questions