2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

installing headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009 | 02:07 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

on my truck i have shorties that go to the stock downpipes then to a y with no cat.....when i said its a dog with out a muffler i mean that it has no ***** whatsoever.....very sluggish......i have a 5.2 1500

Old 05-14-2009 | 02:32 PM
ztomtog2
|

yeah thats what i was thinkin. thats why im trying to figure out what size pipe to weld to the collectors and to the 2 to 1 then what size to run back to the muffler. i want to have the power when the cutout is open and the sound but when its closed i still want to maintain a pretty good ratio i just need it quiet because im gonna be in a college town with terrible law enforcement. college = no money to pay tickets. im thinkin reducing the 3" collector to 2 inch then run both of them into the 2to1 where it comes out as a 2.5" then after about a foot of 2.5 put the cutout where itll dump or run 2.5 back to the muffler.

Old 05-14-2009 | 03:15 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

that prob would be decent....the stock downpipes on mine are 2"

Old 05-15-2009 | 12:21 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

i haven't had any melted wires yet, that pic was shortly after i installed them, the wires are tucked better now and when i do the reroute i'm gonna have convolute (sp?) on every inch of the wires. and they're some no brand from ebay. they said its t304 stainless and the welds look solid so i got em and really like them compared to the manifolds. since i put them on my cruise doesn't have temper issues when i hit an incline on the road.

Old 05-16-2009 | 07:25 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion

when i put my cutout on i didnt really lose much power just loud as a **** i get compliments all the time lol

Old 05-21-2009 | 10:46 PM
ztomtog2
|

yeah the cutout is purely for sound. the truck as it is is pretty quick. its got the stock down pipes and they come into a 2.5 pipe that runs all the way back and i welded it to the stock tail pipe because i just like the way it looks for some reason. i just took out the cat and muffler and threw in a cheap flow through glasspack muffler. but the pipework is pretty sketch since i got it done at a beaner shop for 35 bucks and at certain rpms it sounds terrible. im in a college town and everyone thinks theyre cool because they have f150's with dual flowmasters so im gonna show em up. plus setting off car alarms in the parking garage is just fun as ****

Quick Reply: installing headers