2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

grinding noise only after bump

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

in addition to testing the vac motor and its ability to slide the shift fork back and forth,
also check that the collar slides easily on and off the inner shaft.

there is a bearing and a bushing on the end of the 2 shafts at the cad. i think its a bushing on the inside and a bearing on the outer. make sure everything is tight and lines up properly.

if you had a vac leak not pulling the collar to the unlock position, it might drift around and grind. those vac lines between cad and t-case are in a vulnerable position.

the hard part about troubleshooting it, is that once installed, you can't see what the damn thing is doing.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:46 PM
general1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the vac tester. Vac coming to the shifter is working perfectly.
I took the vac shifter apart, cleaned everything, put it back together, put in new oil and.. no more noise. I drove it for 40 miles and no grinding.
I did not replace anything but the gear oil (when I took it off there was no oil in it).
All I can figure is the lack of oil and the metal dust was causing a poor vacuum seal in the motor. Any better ideas?

Old 05-18-2009, 03:34 PM
cuaco_ortiz
Amateur

dude, I had the same problem on mine, mine is also a 96.

It turned out to be that the front axle needed more oil. Check the oil level in your front axle.

When I had that sound I had to pull the 4x lever to try and engage it but not really doing it and it went away for a while at least. I took everything appart and could not find a damm thing wrong.

At the end, it was just the oil level in the axle that was missing about 1 or 1½ quarts.

try it and give it a shot, you'll be surprised...

Old 05-18-2009, 08:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by general1
I did not replace anything but the gear oil (when I took it off there was no oil in it).
you mean there was no oil in the front diff ? that's not good.
the cad was probably just stuck in no-man's land, and needed a good cleaning.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:06 PM
Josh Graham

Originally Posted by B0NECRACKER
Hey I had the exact same problem and it was the transfer case snap ring. When my suspension flexed the drive shaft would push the transfer case gears together causing that grinding noise. An easy way to check is to pull the 4x4 shifter towards the seat and see if it stops. Don't drive it too long like this if it is the problem. you dont need a rebuiild kit, if it is you just need the new ring or an after market repair thingy that stops it from happening again.
part number ring?

Old 09-19-2017, 07:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts
Old 10-23-2018, 08:49 PM
Dodgemitch07

I have this same grinding issue with my 07 ram. I’m pretty sure it has the CAD design as well. Where is this so called CAD located and is this an easy fix. I thought it was my actuator and now I’m having second thoughts after reading this thread

Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dodgemitch07
I have this same grinding issue with my 07 ram. I’m pretty sure it has the CAD design as well. Where is this so called CAD located and is this an easy fix. I thought it was my actuator and now I’m having second thoughts after reading this thread
Your truck is a third gen, and completely different than ours. You need to be in the 3rd gen ram tech section. Start your own thread there please.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:30 PM
Ztjohn

Originally Posted by Aubrey
Does your 4wheel light on the dash come on when it does it? It might not. My first guess is that your CAD is not fully disengaged or is moving some. When you hit the bump, the collar is barely moving over where the splines are rubbing but it is not over far enough to fully engage.
Being a 96, I'd be more inclined that it is the diaphram going out and not something in the t-case.
I’m having the same exact problem on my 03 dodge Dakota all tho I have found if I engage 4 wheel it sometimes goes away sometimes it doesn’t tho

Old 10-26-2020, 08:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ztjohn
I’m having the same exact problem on my 03 dodge Dakota all tho I have found if I engage 4 wheel it sometimes goes away sometimes it doesn’t tho
You wanna be in the Second Gen Dakota section, your front suspension isn't anything like our either.

Quick Reply: grinding noise only after bump