2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY governor pressure sensor, solenoid install

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 AM
DodgeRam2500CTD
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gov pressure sensor I guess it is...

Old 12-27-2009, 11:29 AM
xray99
Banned

Originally Posted by DodgeRam2500CTD
Ok....transducer is replaced and the sylenoid with the cover holding it in (the one on the right in post 21 with the white plug).....it now has first gear again and i can shift with the shifter.....before it only had 3rd gear.....was throwing code p1757.....now no codes.....the 2nd to 3rd shift is funky....the truck slows down if i hold constant throttle at about 30-35 mph....slow down to about 15 mph and the truck just shudders (shifting back and forth real fast) until you pull the shifter down to first....i ran out of atf but it is at the add mark....shouldnt be low enough to cause this.....just wondering if i replaced the wrong sylenoid....or if I should replace the one right next to it too to solve the problem....?
People do tend to replace them in pairs, yes.
I'd be hard pressed to recommend you start throwing parts at it though, in absence of codes.
If you do drop the pan again, check your accumulator spring, these are often busted and can produce symptoms similar to what you describe.
[There are 2 accumulator pistons. One you have to drop the valve body to access, so forget about that one for now. The other is inside a little recess, there is a little hatch with 4 allen head bolts on the drivers side, just remove that little hatch and the spring & piston will drop right out.
Mine was busted in 2 when I checked it, my tranny guy told me these are a frequently failed part].

Best thing you can do really is to get access to a quality scan tool and a guy who knows how to use it, which will feed real time info as you drive, and might very likely pinpoint the exact problem.
Most tranny shops have them, some will scan for free, others charge up to $50.
Another option is to try craigslist job offered section, thats how I found my scan tool guy.
Offer $30 for a quick scan, you'll probably get more than 1 reply within an hour.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:41 AM
DodgeRam2500CTD
Professional

The piston and spring on the drivers side seemed to be ok and not busted......i mean didnt seem to have anything wrong with it.....first time in a auto trans so im not too sure what its supposed to look like.....piston on top and spring on bottom resting on that plate for installation....correct?

Old 12-27-2009, 12:47 PM
DodgeRam2500CTD
Professional

got to looking at some pics of this spring and noticed mine didnt look quite so big..... so i took it apart and sure enough.....the spring is busted and was twisted in the other piece.....now that its apart....where would a guy find this spring? Tranny shop maybe? I need my truck back asap

Old 12-27-2009, 01:01 PM
01Green5.9L
Professional

You should be able to get the spring at a tranny shop,I got my spring in a sonnax sure cure kit when i did my tranny, the spring in the kit is heavy duty compared to oem, the oem springs have that tendency to break

Old 12-27-2009, 01:44 PM
xray99
Banned

.piston on top and spring on bottom resting on that plate for installation....correct?
Correct, spring on the plate.

And yes, tranny shop would be the best bet for an exact replacement.

You can see from this pic, courtesy of our old buddy aim4squirrels, that it is indeed a fairly large spring - And from what I have seen, they do tend to coil into eachother when they fail. So you still have a spring, but one not nearly long enough to do its job.
Don't get your hopes up, this may or may not cure your problem, there could be other factors in play here.
But in any case, sure won't hurt to have a functional spring in there.

Name:  SureCurekit011.jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  66.4 KB

Last edited by xray99; 12-27-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:53 PM
2001Ram
Captain

You must have a different transmission than me, the filter on mine only had 2 bolts and the filter itself was inclosed in metal.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:21 PM
DodgeRam2500CTD
Professional

Originally Posted by 2001Ram
You must have a different transmission than me, the filter on mine only had 2 bolts and the filter itself was inclosed in metal.
Id say same tranny......my stock filter was the same way....well i hope this cures the problem....what is this spring called if I were to ask them for one? any technical name?

Old 12-27-2009, 04:19 PM
DodgeRam2500CTD
Professional

The accumulator that is under the valve body has 2 springs? i only saw one when it came apart.... the one on bottom id say....where could the other one be?....is this another one i should check? I want to check anything that could cause this cuz im tired of taking it apart.....any adjustments i can do? anything i should check to see if its loose?

looks like i need the smaller spring that is on top of the accumulator piston above the valve body and the one that was broken.....how could i explain them to a dealer to get the right springs?

Last edited by DodgeRam2500CTD; 12-27-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:40 PM
xray99
Banned

Accumulator piston spring, I'd say.

The top piston doesn't always have 2 springs, mine only had 1.
From what I understand, most rebuilt trannys leave it out, for performance reasons.

Heres a shot of the piston with a correct spring

If you read through the "dropping valve body" thread that I posted the link to here, we get into the spring issue in some depth.

As far as what else can you do, not much an amateur tranny guy can do.
Make sure the O-ring on the piston isn't shot.
You can try adjusting the bands if so inclined, I wouldn't recommend it.
If you don't know exactly what you are doing, you stand to make things worse instead of better, possibly much worse ,, But theres plenty of info on band adjustment if you search around.
Make sure to fill tranny with ATF+4, and cross your fingers.

Last edited by xray99; 04-05-2010 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY governor pressure sensor, solenoid install