2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 ram cruise won't even turn on

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:38 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have checked all of the wires in the circuit. I have no power for the cruise circuit coming from the pcm. I am tending to believe the pcm is shot. I also have these new issues of the turn signal shorting somewhere to the high beams. ggggrrrrr. I also have the issue of the ABS and brake light on now and the truck acting up too.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:07 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Ok. I found and fixed the flashing headlight issue. When I took out the battery box the second time to verify that the cruise solenoid was not damaged or having a vacuum leak I reinstalled the battery box and managed to run one of the battery hold down bolts through the wiring harness shorting the right signal and high beam wires together. I still need to do some searching on the ABS issue. Cruise still doesnt work. I am guessing at this point that no one wants to offer any assistance so I will just update as I find out what is wrong and how to fix it.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:07 AM
96evlmnky
Default Evil monkey strikes again!!!!!

Had this problem with my 1999 Ram 1500. There is a sensor at the top of the rear differential for the ABS system. That sensor went bad and replacing it took care of the problem. What caused mine to go bad was apperantly water got into the differential when launching and loading my boat. check to see if gear lube needs to be replaced also.
The answer above is perfectly correct. When the ABS sensor on the diff goes bad the speedo no longer will work, the odometer stops recording mileage and both brake and ABS light comes on. You also loose O/D or "Lock-up" in the torque converter. The sensor is inexpensive and can be changed in about 30 mins. Good Luck!
I second the second answer My ABS light was on, my BRAKE light was on, my CHECK ENGINE light was on, my SPEEDOMETER wouldn't work below 35 mph, then quit working alltogether. Once the speedomenter quit working the odometer and cruise control quit working. I replaced the rear differential mounted speed sensor ($33) and then reset the CHECK ENGINE light by disconnecting the positive battery cable for a couple of minutes. EVERYTHING then worked.
Replace rear differential speed sensor as follows:
a) remove parking brake cable bracket (1/2" socket)
b) remove speed sensor bolt (9/16" deep socket)
c) remove metal speed sensor cover
d) remove speed sensor from rear differential housing (use channel lock pliers, twist gently back and forth while applying upward pressure. Once the speed sensor has a small gap between it and the rear differential housing, insert a flat-blade screwdriver and gently apply upward pressure while gently twisting speed sensor back and forth.
e) disconnect speed sensor from speed sensor cable
f) lubricate new sensor with WD-40, insert into rear differential housing. It will NOT go in all the way by hand, so do NOT force it nor hit it with anything made out of metal.
g) replace metal speed sensor cover
h) Insert speed sensor bolt and tighten LIGHTLY until a small amout of pressure is felt. Tap speed sensor with rubber hammer until it pops into housing. Finish tightening of speed sensor bolt.
i) replace brake cable bracket, replace 1/2" nut and tighten
j) disconnect positive battery cable for 2 minutes, reconnect positive battery cable h) start vehicle, enjoy, brag to wife and friends.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dude look at thread dates. He is no longer on here he now drivers an f350 7.3 crew cab.

Quick Reply: 97 ram cruise won't even turn on