2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 ram cruise won't even turn on

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:22 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 97 ram cruise won't even turn on

Sorry for the long posting but I want to be specific. Oh I am new to the forum too by the way. I just got the truck 8 days ago so i am very new to this truck. I have repaired several neglected items on the truck including the clock spring. It had the air bag light on as well as no horn or cruise. The horn now works and the airbag light is off but still no cruise. I have removed and cleaned the contacts in the switches and replaced the clock spring. I have also checked for power at the plug on the column side of the clock spring for power to cruise switches and no power. I then checked at the brake switch and no power on any wire except the pinkish colored wire for brake input. I then replaced the brake switch and adjusted it per manual instructions. Still no power to cruise. The little green light does not come on to even indicate power to the unit. I checked for power at the servo and nothing. I do not see any corrosive issue there either. plug and vacuum line look brand new. I do not know which pins to check at the PCM in order to see if that is bad. I am trying to use the 2001 manual I found on here but I do not want to fry something out by testing the wrong pinout. I am getting mvolts of .006-.008 at the other pins at the brake switch by the way. I do not know which way to go from here. I am going to the junk yard today so any help before hand or suggestions are welcome. I am thinking of picking up a couple of computers on the cheap to try and test. Is there anything I should look for in the JY units? I need a throttle cable anyhow. Are they common to fray out by the TB? Thanks in advance for any help

Old 05-17-2009, 04:37 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its a vacuum leak. Try doing a search on "cruise control not working"

Old 05-17-2009, 04:59 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

I am assuming you are refering to the vacuum line that attaches to the cruise control solenoid? I looked it over and didn't see anything wrong with it. I am not getting power to the solenoid at all or the cruise wires attached to the brake switch. How does the vacuum leak prevent the cruise from even turning on? I can understand that it wouldn't allow the cruise to set or maintain vacuum to keep or maintain speed since it couldn't hold vacuum but I don't comprehend how it prevents power from reaching the circuit. Please explain further as I am new to the Dodge world and am very willing to learn what I don't understand.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

The cruise control is only controlled by vacuum pressure. The line that is prone to breaking is found under the battery box...
Do your self a favor, try looking around a little bit. You will find your answers much quicker...

Old 05-17-2009, 05:28 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

I have removed the battery box per other posts here. I looked it over as I have mentioned previously. I do not see or feel anything that even remotely looks like a crack let alone a leak. As for searching around on here I have spent the last four days looking around on here to no avail. There are absolutely no posts which are directly relevant to my problem and those that are anywhere close are not exact in nature. I have found ones indicating that their light turns on and then goes off and they have to shut off theri vehicle to get it to come back on. I have found others that indicated that after changing the clock spring that their problem was solved. I ahve not seen not even one post or thread that indicates exactly what I am experiencing. I even took the time and opportunity to join this forum in the hopes that I could get some valuable information on this issue and possibly lend a hand or two in helping others but it appears to me as though you want to get into a pissing contest with me over something so very petty. I appologize for inconveniencing you by asking for help on a problem I am having. I think this will be the very first and most definitely last post I will have on this forum. Thank you for not only not helping but being sarcastic to a new member who was only asking for help. I would have thought that by my being specific in trying to determine the problem that it would be easier for one to assist me. I guess I was wrong.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:30 AM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Oh I almost forgot. It can't be "ONLY" controlled by vacuum since the brake switch and controls on the steering wheel require electricity to operate. That is the problem I have been having. I have no power to anything involving the cruise.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:47 AM
mopar1973man
Veteran

Ummm... You'll be supprised...

That battery acid can really do some damage...

Old 05-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by speeddemon31176
I have removed the battery box per other posts here. I looked it over as I have mentioned previously. I do not see or feel anything that even remotely looks like a crack let alone a leak. As for searching around on here I have spent the last four days looking around on here to no avail. There are absolutely no posts which are directly relevant to my problem and those that are anywhere close are not exact in nature. I have found ones indicating that their light turns on and then goes off and they have to shut off theri vehicle to get it to come back on. I have found others that indicated that after changing the clock spring that their problem was solved. I ahve not seen not even one post or thread that indicates exactly what I am experiencing. I even took the time and opportunity to join this forum in the hopes that I could get some valuable information on this issue and possibly lend a hand or two in helping others but it appears to me as though you want to get into a pissing contest with me over something so very petty. I appologize for inconveniencing you by asking for help on a problem I am having. I think this will be the very first and most definitely last post I will have on this forum. Thank you for not only not helping but being sarcastic to a new member who was only asking for help. I would have thought that by my being specific in trying to determine the problem that it would be easier for one to assist me. I guess I was wrong.
Whoa whoa whoa, You misunderstand me, like most people do when they read what I type. I am a very dry person, so I guess that's just how it comes out.
I apologize for the confusion.

Here is a thought if you come back: Have you tried checking the switch wires?

Old 05-17-2009, 01:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is also a how to in the DIY section to clean the switch. Don't get ur panties in a bunch! This is a Dodge Ram forum not the VW love bug forum, LOL.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 PM
speeddemon31176
All Star

Ok. Sorry if I misjudged you. I am very frustrated at this point. I now not only don't have cruise but now when I turn on the right turn signal the high beams flash. I tried replacing the multi function switch,the brake switch again, checked fuses, checked flasher cans and replaced anyway, checked bulbs, replaced headlight switch, and tested everything I could find to test on it. Then when I went to leave the parts store I could start the truck and it would stall. I i kept my foot on the gas it would run fine but let off and blah. I drove home two footed. Right as I went to pull in my driveway I took my foot off the gas and it stayed running. Pulled in drive shut it off and restarted and stays running. However since leaving the parts store the ABS and BRAKE lights are now on. Please help me before I burn it.

Quick Reply: 97 ram cruise won't even turn on