2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whats next

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:33 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats next

Ok so now that I think I have the exhaust all worked out I need some ideas on what to start working on next. I'm trying to decide performance or looks. I already have some things lined up but, I' still need some ideas. The goal for my truck is to look nice but, be a very functional off road vehicle. I'm aiming for low end torque and functionality. Here is the list of things I plan on doing. I'm planning on these things because I already have the stuff to do them.

Lighting

Work lights underneath the truck.
Fog lights mounted on the rear bumper to see in reverse.
Several lights mounted underneath the bed rail to light the bed.
A green neon tube mounted in the grill for comsetics.
Several neons in the cab for cosmetics.

Paint

Take off all of the accesories on the engine and paint them all silver.
PAint the intake.
undercoat the frame and as much of the chasis as possible.

Power

Modify the intake and TB while I'm painting.

Ok so here is where I need input. These are the ideas that I have but I'm not sure wich to do first if at all. I need help on deciding wich to do and how much they may cost.

Cosmetics.

Tear the gauge cluster out and figure a way to make it digital. (I've never seen this done and thought it might be cool to try.) If the guages are run by steppermotros like I suspect then it should be pretty easy to design something digital. Probaly just a counting circuit.

Leveling Kit. I'm leaning towards this. The only down side is that I really don't want to put in a coil spacer. I want taller springs but they are very very hard to find for a good price.

Performance.

1.7 RR I've heard this is a great upgrade but I don't want to get a new tuner and I think I am fast approching that point. I'm actually pretty happy with the power right now but I'm sure I would be even happy with more

CAM. I'm not sure that I want to undergo this at all. Lot of work and time that I don't have.

Port and polish the heads. This would be easy to do while I'm painting since I would have everything torn off already.

Posi lock for the front. I don't want to buy this I want to try and make my own but, I don't know if anyone has tried there own or not. My idea was to get a cable actuator from a parts store and then drill a hole in the current actuator. Remove the vaccum lines and figure out a way to connect the cable to the actuator.

Lighting:

Under body kit. Let's be honest yes I want my truck to be functional and powerful not just a street queen but, I want it to look good to. My tuck unfortunetly will probably not see much "dangerous" off roading. One I live in South Carolina and there aren't many trails to go riding on. Two I don't want to hurt my truck. Also I won't feel bad if I take off road and break the underbody kit because it would be my own fault.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:40 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ICEMAN_CH
Leveling Kit. I'm leaning towards this. The only down side is that I really don't want to put in a coil spacer. I want taller springs but they are very very hard to find for a good price.
From the looks of your garage and sig, it doesn't look like you have an Off Road edition Ram. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

If you look at the parts for sale thread off the main page, you'll see I have an Off Road edition set of springs and blocks for sale. The springs/blocks are about two inches higher than regular springs.

If no one asks for the whole kit any time soon here, I'd be willing to sell you just the springs.

I was asking for $200 for the whole kit, springs and blocks. Shoot me an offer if ya like (PM), we'll talk.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:43 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think that it will lift an extended cab long bed the same as the off road? I can't remeber if the off road was an extended cab or not. I think it was.